What did you do in the garden today?

I noticed a gopher tunnel right through my newly tilled garden this evening.

:barnie:he:barnie:he

I haven't planted anything in there yet but this has been an ongoing problem for 3 years now....
Gopherhawk brand traps are my go-to. I have set one, taken five steps away and caught a gopher. Once you learn the way, they're the best trap ever made. I have 7 working traps and one waiting to be fixed. I should make a tutorial for troubleshooting them. 😂
Didn't do too much today. Got 4 new tub-beds set up and seeded some carrots, purslane, baby's breath, portaluca, and stocks in them. Ran out of soil and still have 5 beds to fill so I'll pick up more tomorrow.

Gotta get working on the big garden too now that it's tilled.
I'm always surprised when I see people planting purslane on purpose. It's highly invasive here. It throws it's seeds, still develops even if you pull it out of the ground, and the seeds are viable for many, many, years. I don't care if it's food... I refuse to eat it on principle. 😂

FYI all my fellow canners.
I purchased two cases of reg lid size, quart Anchor Hocking jars from TSC yesterday. They are interfering with my pressure canner lid. I have to space them out just right or the pressure seal button won't go down and seal. And the guard rails on the lid are banging the jar tops as you turn and close the lid.
My canner holds 5 quarts, but will NOT with the placement I need for these jars.
I've NEVER had this problem before.
They are a full inch taller than my wide mouth jars, but SEEM to be the same height as my other reg mouth jars, maybe just a tad taller.
I don't get it.
Good to know, thank you. They def won't work in my canner. As it is I need to adjust the jars just right to fit.

Todays high changed from 62 to 79. The mosquito fish are doing a great job. I had been harvesting some wigglers for the guppies from a outdoor tote. Put 4 mosquito fish in there and almost nothing for the guppies. Rain tanks have no wigglers yet. I went to a fish swap yesterday and bought some floating plants plus a colony of 14 juvenile Guppys for 10$. Good score.

Morning check on garden. Everything is growing and no worms this AM.
20240415_071920.jpg
20240415_071926.jpg

Good morning all, I’m pooped. Dog park, shopping, made some ginger ale and got the bottles ready, and watered everything in the backyard including the grass. My heel hurts like hell so I’m relaxing with coffee and an ice pack.
Can you please share your recipe for ginger ale?

Can you please share your recipe for ginger ale?
Sure thing! I found these folks on YouTube a while ago and their recipe was the closest I remember to the one I used when I made it back in the day. They do have videos on YouTube, I find them a wee bit annoying but they are informative if you want to check them out.

How to make a ginger bug

https://fermentationadventure.com/how-to-make-a-ginger-bug-for-homemade-soda/

Ginger ale

https://fermentationadventure.com/how-to-make-homemade-ginger-beer-ale-soda-recipe-real-ginger/

Back
Top Bottom