What did you do in the garden today?

Sure thing! I found these folks on YouTube a while ago and their recipe was the closest I remember to the one I used when I made it back in the day. They do have videos on YouTube, I find them a wee bit annoying but they are informative if you want to check them out.

How to make a ginger bug

https://fermentationadventure.com/how-to-make-a-ginger-bug-for-homemade-soda/

Ginger ale

https://fermentationadventure.com/how-to-make-homemade-ginger-beer-ale-soda-recipe-real-ginger/
Thank you 😊

FYI all my fellow canners.
I purchased two cases of reg lid size, quart Anchor Hocking jars from TSC yesterday. They are interfering with my pressure canner lid. I have to space them out just right or the pressure seal button won't go down and seal. And the guard rails on the lid are banging the jar tops as you turn and close the lid.
My canner holds 5 quarts, but will NOT with the placement I need for these jars.
I've NEVER had this problem before.
They are a full inch taller than my wide mouth jars, but SEEM to be the same height as my other reg mouth jars, maybe just a tad taller.
I don't get it.
Quality control issues, perhaps?

Gopherhawk brand traps are my go-to. I have set one, taken five steps away and caught a gopher. Once you learn the way, they're the best trap ever made. I have 7 working traps and one waiting to be fixed. I should make a tutorial for troubleshooting them. 😂

I'm always surprised when I see people planting purslane on purpose. It's highly invasive here. It throws it's seeds, still develops even if you pull it out of the ground, and the seeds are viable for many, many, years. I don't care if it's food... I refuse to eat it on principle. 😂
I guess when you have a ravenous horde of horses, goats, chickens, and ducks, then purslane doesn't stand a chance... 😂 I've tried several times to get it to grow and it always dies out.

Ever have so much on your "to do" list, that you don't know where to start? Also, when I get busy with work, everything back home suffers. Time & money...you can be without both, or have one or the other, but Never Both in abundance at the same time!

Today...after work, IF I beat the rain (yes, More rain is coming tonight) I will get those wildflower seeds raked in & covered with straw since the relentless wind is finally on break today. Then make dinner & work on a diagram of what gets planted where. I'm not doing rows, I'm trying synergy cluster type gardening this time.

Sometime after work this week, I'm going to dig up some wild raspberry bushes, & place in 5 gal buckets temporarily, if I have to. If anyone can share some helpful planting tips for these wild raspberry plants, I'd be grateful. I really hate to see them being ripped out & discarded, but that's what some folks do...darn shame, I've loved picking & eating them for years. Well, I'm going to save some & move them to my own property. I'm considering planting along the property line across the back, where my property backs up to the field that is currently farmed. It sort of already makes a natural hedge row where it is growing now. I could make a similar hedge row. It'll get full sun there.

Last edited:
No idea. These are basic, plain, unmarked jars. Box is printed anchor hocking. The jars look like, well, plain blank jars. I won't buy them again.
DH & I bought some jars at Walmart about 6 mos ago. Some of the darn lids give me grief, even had to buy one of those battery operated "grips & unscrews" gadgets, which actually bent & misshaped a lid so bad I had to toss it. No lids have ever seemed so "soft" & easy to bend before. Wondering if there is a QC issue. 🤔

Deer did a number on my young apple trees...skinned bark off trunks, badly. Seems like many varied opinions, of whether or not to do anything can be found on the web. Some people say do nothing, the tree will heal itself. Others say try putting pool noodles around them. Some people say paint the trunks. What do you think?

Should I try this?
https://www.google.com/search?q=dee...-8&inm=vs#kpvalbx=_9EMdZqvZNvqrptQPt6KcyAM_62

20240415_105147.jpg 20240415_105142.jpg 20240415_105109.jpg 20240415_104838.jpg 20240415_105619.jpg

Deer rubbing antlers, but also someone took a few bites!

On a positive note...at least the trees aren't dead.
20240415_105127.jpg 20240415_104916.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom