What did you do in the garden today?

stuff those babies! all kinds of goodies to go in them
cooling cream cheese with an olive in it?
fill with mozzie
i also think puree them with a little olive oil, refridgerate and use as a seasoning
dry them and grind them to season with.
stuff with blue cheese and bread and deep fry.

eat with icy beer

Picked 5 1/2 lbs of tomatoes, watered like crazy, and killed squash bugs. Then picked all of my ripe butternut. Getting loads of jalapenos now and have two bigwatermelons on my scrawny little vines.

Finally got the tiller working right, and got my Crowders in the ground

Picked several pounds of yellow tomatoes

Also pulled about 5 tomato plants, and have the green ones in a box in the sun to ripen ( about 8 pounds)

Came I and made crystallized ginger (some think I'm too cheap to just buy it, but $10 for 2 oz is insane)

Had to make crystallized ginger so I could make some old tyme Yellow Tomato marlalade (cooking off tomorrow

We're sowing our collards, kales, & Asian greens this week in pots, getting ready for transplant in August.

I planted two 10 foot by 18 inch rows of bush beans and transplanted two yellow bell pepper plants to get them out of the way of the beans. Then I filled a small raised bed with fresh soil that I built just for my chickens to scratch and eat from,
D.gif
I will probably plant some mixed greens in that.

You'll be eating LOTS of beans.

I planted 2 rose bushes, 2 Russian Sage, 1 pink bee balm, 2 other perenials... that i've forgotten the name of. Potted 3 geraniums and 1 white dahlia. I'm focusing on aromatic plants that can be used in the nest boxes. Took a cutting from my Citronella several weeks ago. It looked like the cutting was dying: all leaves turned yellow, but it finally sprouted roots, so can plant it tomorrow.

Finally getting produce from the garden. several batches of pole beans, summer squash, carrots, beets, lettuce. One cherry tomato getting pink.

heck I have about 30 ft of pole beans and about 40 feet of bush beans not eating that many..and been canning some...bu I have a family of seven takes a lot for even a meal..dug some potatoes, picked about a gallon of green beans, 1 squash and a cucumber..planning on making some crab apple jelly tomorrow.

I got up cooked off some Red Tomato Marmalade (Pictured below is the yellow)
This is definitely going in my new cookbook, because so far it's been good on everything:
Hamburgers, chicken fajitas, chip dip, tomato sandwich spread, & on Biscuits.
The red is more but faintly tomatoey, but the yellow is less tomatoey and almost like
Peachy marmalade.

In the Actual garden I din nothing, but put a few old boiled eggs around my late crop tomatoes,.
trying to deter the danged deer.
I did water, but then it rained this afternoon...LOL...figures
Should be picking cucumbers again by next week, lots of blooms today...

We also are hoping for maybe 4 new additions this weekend, We candled our eggs again
supposed to be day 14, Eggs looking pretty full up, 1/4 of the eggs are very much ahead of the rest.
So we'll hatch a few at a time I guess...LOL...looks like it'll be at least a 60% hatch
for our first time we're so egg-cited.

Anyone with any interesting recipes for banana peppers we need something different to do
the dilly whole ones, really are not what we expected, but they are beautiful.
I really don't want to do the sweet relish because they are actually better with warmer peppers.

At the farm too we're adding a new layer of screen from some recycled chicken & fencing wire we came into.
I really dislike chicken wire, 1" staples, wire cutters, & hammers...But no creatures should be able to get through.

Back
Top Bottom