What did you do in the garden today?

Pics of the nubs on the sweet potatoes

20200227_220921.jpg
20200227_220928.jpg
20200227_220933.jpg

At work yesterday ( my overtime shift) I noticed that a few people were wearing the blue masks like you do when you don't want to spread/or catch germs.
I assumed they were being proactive in regards to the coronavirus.
Kqren, I see a few people walking around with masks on and just assumed it was because they had a cold or virus and were trying to keep from spreading it. I don't think we have corona virus here in MO yet. Man, I hope I don't have to wear a mask. I hate those things!

A couple years ago I read that you can just cut pieces of your long sweet potato vines and stick them in the ground, cover with a flower pot or bucket, and leave for about 10 days. They will sprout roots on their own and grow just fine. I tried it and it works well.
Interesting. That means I can propagate further once I establish the plants from the slips. That's pretty cool.

Good morning gardeners. Best wishes for your mother's recovery @karenerwin. Yesterdays trip to the dentist was very productive. His office is 30 miles away so I added shopping stops along the way. One stop was to pick up a few more things for the garden. I got some more of the starter peat pots and picked up a bag of worm castings. They were very reasonably priced. On the way home I stopped at HD and picked up some of the boards for my garden expansion (I have a very small car so can only do a couple at a time). I thought I was getting 10 inch x 8 foot boards, turns out they are 8 inch. Oh well that will have to do. I also picked up some fruit tree fertilizer spikes and finally - asparagus starts. I picked the Mary Washington ones. I know pretty much diddly squat about asparagus (except that it is tasty) but something in my head told me to go with the Mary Washington. I googled it when I got home and it is smaller than male asparagus plants. So there, small asparagus for my "Wee Farm." I was curious about how many square feet of planting area (for vegetable and herbs) I have so I did a tally. I'm around 280 square feet. I think that's pretty good for feeding one person and some chickens. I'm still loaded with tomato products, pickles, canned peaches and jams. I still have squash fritters in the freezer as well. I too am planting conehead cabbage this year. I don't usually grow cabbage, but thought this might be fun. I still haven't committed to potatoes yet. But I do have them in my garden plan. I took a picture of my baby leeks. To those of you who are not familiar with these, the seedlings look like grass. The weather here is a bit chilly, 28F and wicked windy. We'll be getting a couple of cold days then warming back to mid-40's again. Nearly all the ice is gone now except for a random patch here and there. I'm so glad it's gone. Walking is much safer now. Too windy to get out to work in the yard today. Sunday is supposed to be the best day. I hope to get the "pea patch" covered soon. Have a great day everyone.

asparagus.JPG leeks.JPG

Back
Top Bottom