What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. Finally got the plastic up to finish the hoop garden. I need to test the soil, add a little compost for warmth then I can add plants. Yay! Today I will focus on moving as much dirt as I can handle into the big garden bed. I will also be setting up the containers for the potatoes. It's supposed to start raining in the early evening and continue into tomorrow. For the potatoes, it's a little on the early side to be planting here, but since I'm using containers anyway I thought if I added a small "pile" of compost it would generate enough heat for the cold nights. Any thoughts on this? I guess this could be good news for us chicken farmers, but I heard on the local news that apparently there is an egg shortage right now. Just when I was thinking of putting up a sign in my front yard. I guess I can work on making a sign tomorrow while I'm "enjoying" a rainy day. It was really nice yesterday with the temps actually getting up to 60F for a little while. Today is supposed to be in mid to high 50's. I may hold off for a few more days before planting the peas. I need to make sure I've got it setup completely before sowing the seeds. Here's a shot of my little hoop garden bed. It is 4 by 8 feet, so I can grow quite a bit of cold crops in there. There might be a wee farm stand in my future. LOL! Have a great day everyone.
hoop bed.JPG

Morning . Another rainy day here . Severe storms this afternoon . Did a repair / rebuild on a chick cage yesterday . Going to finish it today . Got to put in a heat source and a roof today . Got chicks due to hatch Thursday .
Ya, I would NOT want to be in NW Illinois today. Watch that.
Winds headed for over 50 mph here today, and oh look, fog, I ...Am...So...Surprised. Not. Sigh. I can't see further than that barn. It's ridiculous. Sewing day again today. I'm starting to watch my 18 year old sewing machine slowly die. So I'm starting to look at new machines. I just want a basic, solid machine. So I'll end up buying used.
I wanted a Bernina like mom and sister, way back when. But then Repair and dealer shops were far and few between and with moving every 2 years, I could always be near a JoAnn Fabric, which used to have the husqvarna sewing centers in them. Then those went out of business (I saw they're sneaking back again.) and I won't go back with the lack of support I've had over the 18 years.

I know my dad would GIVE me my mom's machine and attachments, but I don't want to ask. And shipping seems such the hassle. (1000 miles away. ) Had I thought about it, I would have had a friend who was on a road trip there last month pick it up and bring it back with her. I'm such a dork for not thinking of that.

I decided to stop fighting against the hot humid weather here in Texas, and instead plant things that will enjoy it more than I do, even though I really prefer growing cool weather crops (no cool weather to be found here, lol).

So last year I grew a bunch of eggplants, but then we had a random early freeze that killed them all off before I thought any of the eggplants were ready. I left them all alone in frustration. Now I have about ten trillion little baby eggplant sprouts everywhere. I'm surprised, because I didn't think any of the eggplants had been old enough to produce viable seeds. Should I let these grow into their own plants? I feel a little ridiculous separating them into their own little containers, but if they are good, I'd like to start giving them to people. I don't need ten trillion eggplants. I don't even like eggplant that much, lol.

Back
Top Bottom