What did you do in the garden today?

We've got flower gardens mostly. I got some baby bulbs from one of them and planted them in a pot since they were found above ground anyway. They are both thriving.
I have some flower beds, but I don't manage them as well as I probably should. I'm thinking of starting some purposefully planted pollinator beds full of flowers. I much prefer perennials or prolific self seeders. Any suggestions would be welcome. :)

Rain and storms for 3rd night in a row. Southern Ohio got some really strong storms, though, so it wasn’t that intense here.

Turned some of the soil in the raised beds, a few more to go. Need to amend with some vermiculite and perlite, but have some left over from last year. The yellow blossom clover has enjoyed the recent rains, but sowing appears a bit spotty in some areas - I guess not surprising since I was hand broadcasting the seeds across the 20x30 bed.

Next 10 days looks to have freezing/near freezing night temps, so we’ve set up the tarp to cover the strawberries at night (with some supports to hopefully keep off the plants). Hopefully that will be the last cold stretch until the fall... I’m hoping anyway!

One of the cockerels was relegated to his solo pen yesterday. He was not happy. Poor guy just gained top cockerel spot from the head cockerel, evidenced by that cockerel keeping to corners with many wounds to his comb. And now this one is by himself in a pen, near the run. We are keeping him to show at fair (if it happens), but we decided he’s not the male we want to keep long term. We will be putting the other younger cockerel in the pen next to him, and keeping the oldest cockerel in the run With the hens/pullets.

here are the two pens we made from our three bin compost area the pens are 6x4 each.

FCC0D7C5-0E2A-44DB-9D8B-F546FE9B83B6.jpeg

I have some flower beds, but I don't manage them as well as I probably should. I'm thinking of starting some purposefully planted pollinator beds full of flowers. I much prefer perennials or prolific self seeders. Any suggestions would be welcome. :)
Marigolds and alyssum have both self seeded well for me. Sunflowers too.

Good morning gardeners. Not much going on in the garden yesterday. It took a while to get the lumber and other stuff on order with HD. While I was on the initial phone call a wild Tom turkey was in the woods behind my fence in full display trying to woo a turkey hen. Very sweet and amusing. The weather today is forecasted to be stormy so no plans for outside at all. I did check the bag of dirt with the potato pieces and they look fine. I don't dare open the bag indoors, but they look OK. The weather this week is on the cool side but still above freezing so I'm hoping to get the potatoes planted soon. My seedlings are doing well and should be nice and healthy by the time they need to go outside. We've been having quite a bit of rain lately, however, it is April after all. It just makes it hard to get a whole lot of work done in the garden. I'm so sorry you have contracted the VIRUS @Acre4Me, I'm glad you are on the mend and wish for your return to full health. The "surge" is starting here in Massachusetts. They aren't confirming that on the news, but by looking at the daily numbers it sure seems like it. I have no plans on going anywhere. I was in a grocery store 10 days ago and I have enough TP to last another 3 weeks, so I'm good. More time to get my projects completed. Soil amendments: coffee grounds are high in nitrogen, however, they don't give that up easily and are better added to the compost. I "googled it" because I've been reading up on soil amendments lately and that didn't pan out. Rabbit, goat, or alpaca poo is great because you can add it directly to the soil unlike other types of poo. My soil needs a lot of work still before planting so I've been looking at what is best for immediate results without resorting to chemicals. The worm castings I picked up a while back seem to be a good source of available but, "slow acting" nitrogen without burning. The wild violet syrup looks really nice @karenerwin. I bet it smells very nice as well. Thanks for the photos, always appreciated. Have a great day everyone.

Morning . Storms mostly missed me . Not enough rain to settle the dust . May have to water my hollyhock transplants . Sawmill work today . Need more lumber . Love my sawmill . High of 48 today after yesterdays high of 79 and 80 Tuesday . 50's for next several days . I see a lot of Dames rocket seedlings up . May pot some up for moving to new spots . Yes I failed to collect seed so plan B .

I'm so sorry you have contracted the VIRUS @Acre4Me,

No, thankfully have not contracted the Corona virus! I either experienced a food issue or a mild, short lived virus. Of course, any anomaly has me worried for a moment or two if it could be the virus, but then I remind myself: dry cough and fever are two common symptoms.

Rain and storms for 3rd night in a row. Southern Ohio got some really strong storms, though, so it wasn’t that intense here.

Turned some of the soil in the raised beds, a few more to go. Need to amend with some vermiculite and perlite, but have some left over from last year. The yellow blossom clover has enjoyed the recent rains, but sowing appears a bit spotty in some areas - I guess not surprising since I was hand broadcasting the seeds across the 20x30 bed.

Next 10 days looks to have freezing/near freezing night temps, so we’ve set up the tarp to cover the strawberries at night (with some supports to hopefully keep off the plants). Hopefully that will be the last cold stretch until the fall... I’m hoping anyway!

One of the cockerels was relegated to his solo pen yesterday. He was not happy. Poor guy just gained top cockerel spot from the head cockerel, evidenced by that cockerel keeping to corners with many wounds to his comb. And now this one is by himself in a pen, near the run. We are keeping him to show at fair (if it happens), but we decided he’s not the male we want to keep long term. We will be putting the other younger cockerel in the pen next to him, and keeping the oldest cockerel in the run With the hens/pullets.

here are the two pens we made from our three bin compost area the pens are 6x4 each.

View attachment 2081585
I was thinking about turning or old compost bins into pens for rabbits in a similar way. Thanks for the pic. It's great food for thought.

No, thankfully have not contracted the Corona virus! I either experienced a food issue or a mild, short lived virus. Of course, any anomaly has me worried for a moment or two if it could be the virus, but then I remind myself: dry cough and fever are two common symptoms.
Sorry, my mistake. I’m just glad you are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom