What did you do in the garden today?

Bean Trellis is done. It is overkill, but very sturdy and very nice!

It is not attached to the bed, and it can be moved. It is 10' tall. There are 2 ladder-like rungs, and we might add a third, if we feel we need to reach the very top.
Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 9.07.27 PM.png

Pole beans already sprouted and should be ready to climb strings soon! White potato plants in the bed behind the trellis. Bush bean plants are to the right in the same bed as the pole beans.
Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 9.07.40 PM.png

Hey all well bought more started plants brussle sprouts something ate my plants
not sure what I can do ? I bought more but same fate ? I plant in tires how did they do that ..
need oh have a beer in fridge from cooking I will use it for slugs ...
My little lone hatch has a very attentive silkie Mom :frow

It was very humid here today, so even though the overall temperature was lower, it was way more miserable out. In between rain storms we got another van load of garden soil (plus a bunch of other errands ran). I got all of the dirt unloaded and into the raised bed. I planted 6 cucumber plants, some corn seeds, a bunch of onion starts that I bought today, moved a Roma tomato plant into the raised bed and planted a packet of "Bee Pollinator" flower seeds (that I have no idea how old they are, so they may not even germinate!) in the raised bed. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow (if I get a chance between rain storms).
I need to look back through my stash of seeds to see what else I can plant. I am thinking I want to try carrots again. They may actually do alright in the raised bed because the soil is much finer than what is in my "in ground" garden!
I do plan on going back to the animal rescue place to get 1 more load (small load this time) of manure to mix in the soil I just added (even though I already planted that area 😂 ).
My oldest brother said he talked to Mom today and she agreed to give up her apartment
(without a fight at all:eek:). My brother ended up telling her we would keep it until the end of June (in the hopes that she will put more effort into her recovery). But realistically, she will probably stay in the nursing home/care center side of things the rest of her life. (But we have thought that before and she has made a total recovery, so we will see what happens).
Oh, and I did open the bee hive today ( a little bit). I removed the entrance reducer and checked 3 or 4 frames in the top brood box and added a honey super. I didn't even use the smoker this time.
I can't wait until my mentor can come over and we can go through the hive together! Right now we are waiting for good weather forecast days and then she will check her schedule.
Have a great day tomorrow everyone!

OH that's CUTE!
Thank you it is and we LOVE it! You should hear it, it's kind of in an echo chamber with a rock base, the new fence, the side of the house, the rabbit house and the chicken run/coop so you can just sit on the back steps (benches will be added) and listen to the Water Chicken burble.

It’s almost 10 pm and I just came in from planting and watering in some Brussels sprouts and cabbage plants my neighbor gave me. I have a motion detector light on the side of the greenhouse so I can put in some nighttime gardening! My garden is a hot spot and during the day I just wilt up there so this was just great!

It was very humid here today, so even though the overall temperature was lower, it was way more miserable out. In between rain storms we got another van load of garden soil (plus a bunch of other errands ran). I got all of the dirt unloaded and into the raised bed. I planted 6 cucumber plants, some corn seeds, a bunch of onion starts that I bought today, moved a Roma tomato plant into the raised bed and planted a packet of "Bee Pollinator" flower seeds (that I have no idea how old they are, so they may not even germinate!) in the raised bed. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow (if I get a chance between rain storms).
I need to look back through my stash of seeds to see what else I can plant. I am thinking I want to try carrots again. They may actually do alright in the raised bed because the soil is much finer than what is in my "in ground" garden!
I do plan on going back to the animal rescue place to get 1 more load (small load this time) of manure to mix in the soil I just added (even though I already planted that area 😂 ).
My oldest brother said he talked to Mom today and she agreed to give up her apartment
(without a fight at all:eek:). My brother ended up telling her we would keep it until the end of June (in the hopes that she will put more effort into her recovery). But realistically, she will probably stay in the nursing home/care center side of things the rest of her life. (But we have thought that before and she has made a total recovery, so we will see what happens).
Oh, and I did open the bee hive today ( a little bit). I removed the entrance reducer and checked 3 or 4 frames in the top brood box and added a honey super. I didn't even use the smoker this time.
I can't wait until my mentor can come over and we can go through the hive together! Right now we are waiting for good weather forecast days and then she will check her schedule.
Have a great day tomorrow everyone!
Wow what a day, you must be exhausted! Heck, I'm exhausted for you! So glad your mom is helping you out with her cooperation. I know from experience how much easier it makes the necessary changes.

Another beautiful day here, about 75 degrees. Did the watering and while I was doing that, I noticed the snap-peas that were doing the best were the ones that had something growing between them and the sun so there was shade on their roots. I'm sure I've even read that but I can see it now. Learning so much this first year. I'll either plant some of the extra chard there or much it thoroughly. Got two more sections of fencing up around the raised beds, only one left now and the cats won't be able to use garden as a litter box. With all the sand on the back bluff I can't see that they need the garden as well. :sick

Oh and halfway through the day I noticed Lucy (our pug cross) had gotten stung by a bee and we didn't have any benadryl in the house. Grabbed my mask and drove to the Dollar General for more. When Lucy was a puppy she nearly died from a bee sting but I needn't have worried, by the time I got back with the meds she already looked better. Gave her one anyway just to be sure. She's fine now.

We sat and watched the chickens for about an hour, they're getting old enough that pecking order is starting to matter to them. We gave them a bunch of alfalfa hay and then left a bunch of the leaves in a cardboard box and oh the consternation! The two boss chickens wanted a shot at the dry alfalfa leaves in the box but didn't want to jump in so the two of them ran in circles around the box for 10 minutes before finally getting in. Every so often one of the lower ranked kids would come over to see what the heck was going on and the boss girls would run them off.

Back
Top Bottom