What did you do in the garden today?

Oh I saw this in my wife's FB feed today and made her save it so I could repost it here:
100999161_10156962226846852_9149631343917793280_n.jpg

There is a German folk expression, "good fences make good neighbors" this one does look more like "Good neighbors make good fences" to me. Enjoy your evening folks!

Last edited:
Sold out on my chicks within 2 hours and now I have a wait list. They all went to current chicken owners and that helps to ease my worry. These folks know what they are getting into.

no gardening, only watering. Something, I think ants chewed the base of my foot and a half tall Bell pepper that was just starting to fruit. Geeeze I don't like summer... :tongue

Good morning gardeners. The poppies are gorgeous. We finally got a nice rain shower last night. The garden is going well. My bush beans are coming up and the butternut squash is starting to break through the soil. I managed to get some more dirt hilled up around my potato plants. I think I'll just put some straw on top of that and that should be fine until they are ready to harvest. I am pretty much finished with the baby coop. I need to pick up two more pieces of trimming wood and a roof panel this morning while I'm waiting for the grass to dry. The run should not take too long to complete and the temps are cooling down quite a bit. Yesterday wasn't all that hot, but soupy humidity. I think I solved the origin of the mystery squash. I believe it is the bird nest gourds. Oh well, I'll be moving that away from the summer squash plants real soon. My rhododendron is blooming now, as well as the honeysuckle bush. I'll take a picture this afternoon. Here's a shot of one of my clematis flowers. Have a great day everyone.
clematis.JPG

Morning all. Cool and rainy. I'll take it.

Mowed all 7 acres yesterday afternoon. I used a new spray on sunscreen that was so sticky I thought I was going to crawl out of my skin. It was STILL sticky after mowing. I looked like a lawn monster with all the windrow clippings stuck to me. It was even hard to wash off! $12 down the drain as I am tossing that can immediately.

Planted the last 15 tomatoes, and put down a layer of clippings to prevent splash-back. I have 5 that are in the same row, same variety, from the same nursery that have curly top leaves. I'm watching those like a hawk. I had that a few years ago on one plant and it never grew out of it and it just kept being curly, and never really produced.

I also have two or three plants that didn't take transplanting well. All sick plants have ONE week to turn around, or out them come for replacements.

The only thing NOT in the ground are the luffa, which I have germinating in the shed with the ginger plants and peace lilies.

Now it's just a matter of pruning, feeding, and swearing at pests and hail storms.

Next project, restoring an barn find bicycle. Today I'll wash, dry, sand, and prime it. Tonight I'll paint. Tomorrow I'll second coat and clear coat, and Monday I'll take the rims to the shop for new tires and pick up a new chain to install. Then I'll put the whole thing together and put on a new basket.

As weather permits, I need to get the electric hot wire around the orchard. It will make mowing a PIA, but I need to train this doe and fawn that my orchard is a No-No space.

Oh and Miss Broody butt, she's wither on day 18 or 15, but we candled last night and she's down to 3 MAYBE eggs. I swear. I think my rooster is getting too old. He tries through. If we get none from these I might get day olds from the farm store on Tuesday morning and slip them to her. Next broody I'll order eggs.

Last edited:
Just got back from HD. OMG it’s like a war zone in there. I found a piece of pvc corrugated roofing so I’m okay with that. I can put hardware cloth under it to make it more secure. I was pleased to find the trim I needed for the baby coop doors. I got out of there as quickly as possible. Most people were wearing masks. Now I can focus on putting the run together and getting those little darlings outside.

I just pulled out my mass of canning jars I have to sort by size so I know what I have for the upcoming season. After 26 years of moves, I decided to pull everything out of storage boxes and consolidate it all and count it. It seems that over the years it was easier to buy new, than to go to a storage unit, crawl in an attic, or root through boxes to find what I needed. Long story short, I have HUNDREDS of quart jars. I preserve food, but good glory!!!!

SO the antique and hard to find vintage canning jars from my heap are going to be put up for sale. Anyone that collect keeps your eyes open, or DM me. I can use the money to buy lids for the stuff I do use. LOL.

There's some cool stuff I've found, and used over the years. To me it was just another jar to pack food into. When I think of all the blue with tin lids I've GIVEN away! UGH.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled mornings.

Good afternoon all. I actually feel half way decent today
On respiratory infections . Viruses stay dormant in the body of recovered birds . Reemerge when stressed and infect new birds . I no longer have a medicine chest for chickens . My policy is not for everyone but it works for me . I cull at first sign of illness . No exceptions .

Back
Top Bottom