What did you do in the garden today?

He's a handsome guy! All my white and black boys were fully feathered so I didn't keep any of them. I have this guy right now, so far so good. He's close to six months, Angus and the hen is Lucy
View attachment 2171008
Naked necks and broody poop looking fermented feed? You are a late night snack killing terrorist!:gig:rant:sick

Last edited:
So handsome!!! :love Do naked necks stay cooler for you than your other breeds? It must be a huge challenge keeping them cool too... I used to live in the desert... it's not for sissy's.

I was a little surprised Bruce had gotten so stressed, he really hid it well. I had to think back on his behavior for it to actually sink in that it was heat stress showing up late. Well, not the first time I have been surprised by heat stress... in a bad way.
Yes they do; they seem to cool off faster than the fully feathered chickens. I don't care how dry it is, 110* is damn miserable and sometimes I think about not keeping chickens any more.

Naked necks and broody poop looking fermented feed? You are a late night snack killing terrorist!:gig:rant:sick
Hey, naked necks are beautious :tongue I spilled and they were cleaning up, not my fault you examine broody poop that closely
giggle.gif

I sorry!

Was a good day, 65 or so and windy. I lowered the blades on on the mower and got the lawn mowed and the closer cut should look tidy longer. Liquid fertilized all the pots including the railing herbs and the deck. Gave away another tomato plant and a couple heads of lettuce.

It was a great day for the chickens. I have a big pile of wood chips I intend to use for deep litter method in the chicken run but I haven't added it to the run yet. Kind of a big job and a little intimidating and no rush. DP suggested I just fill a couple 5 gallon buckets at a time as add those to the run once or twice a day. Well duh, grand idea the the chickens LOVED it! All sorts of creepy crawlies hidden in the chips to scratch through. Then since I was mowing the lawn anyway I dumped a really full bag in three different spots in the run so no one could monopolize it and that led to even more scratching and mixing. That added to the new clover that I hand clipped and gave to the chickens first thing in the morning meant happy chooks!

Yes they do; they seem to cool off faster than the fully feathered chickens. I don't care how dry it is, 110* is damn miserable and sometimes I think about not keeping chickens any more.
I hear ya, I think pretty much the same thing from August till October. Then it cools off, everybody gets un-miserable and I think having chickens is great and I am a wonderful chicken mom. :rolleyes: The upswing to getting old?
I don't know how you survive the desert, though it does have it's very own beauty and I loved the smell of the, must have been mesquite.

I don't know what's going on with Lowes but their website was really wonky yesterday and so was their phone system. It won't let me cancel the roof I ordered. Big PIA.
I had a bad experience with Lowe's too. I ordered some some stuff for my expanded chicken yard - roofing, PVC and various fittings - online for pickup at my local store. It took TWO DAYS for them to email me that my order was ready! I went there and parked in the "online pickup" area and called the number posted on the sign. It took 45 minutes for the person to bring out my order, but several items were missing. She said she'd get them, then two hours and many other calls later, I never got what I was supposed to get and it was a big hassle to get my card refunded.

@NewBoots I bet you had some super happy chickens yesterday! I slowly moved woodchips in the run that way too, a (tractor) bucket at a time for a few weeks & they spread it all out nicer than I would have!

Morning everyone. All the girls are alive & everyone roosted together so thats a good thing. Actually have to go in to work today, blech, so I won't even make it into the garden today. Have a beautiful day all!

Near perfect day yesterday. Blue skies all day, sunny, cool. Last night the low was 42F, so pretty chilly, but it warms up from here.

We’ve been stringing the bean structures, and have a bit more to go. The kid is enjoying the view from above, as their job is to place the string in the right place On the top bar.

incubated eggs: Day 20! Might start to see some pips soon! Crossing fingers for a good hatch!

Back
Top Bottom