What did you do in the garden today?

So then. Venus flytraps CAN be kept indoors but are much happier outside. Mine stay outside all year long. We're in Oregon where it's not horribly cold in the winter, but mine had survived freezing temperatures for SHORT periods of time in Portland before we moved further south. If you want to keep yours in (and I'd still recommend putting them outside during the summer ) then you need to provide as much sunlight as possible. If they aren't used to any sun, start them slow so they don't burn, but once accustomed they sit outside in full sun all day happily eating bugs. Just make sure they are ALWAYS in water. They are a bog plant and want their feet wet. The wetter the better. Do not feed them anything that isn't an insect. I will catch earwigs for mine if they look like they need a boost. You hold the bug by tweezers, and gently touch it to the hairs on the inside of the traps. Two separate hairs have to be touched within a short period of time...that prevents the fly trap from closing on things like rain drops, and expending energy that they will then have to replace.
There is a type of flytrap called "Red Dragon", too. The leaves are scarlet and very pretty. If you get your plant happy enough to bloom, you will probably want to snip the blooms off, as the plant probably won't produce viable seed and take energy from the plant.
If you feel the need to repot, after a few years' growth, either buy a specific type of potting mix intended for carnivorous plants, or mix peat, sand, and perlite together.
If you have any specific questions, ask...I adore all my carnivorous plants and they do very well for me. Here are some pictures:
Thanks so much! I'm not sure how cold it gets outside, but any potted plants that my mom moves outside, she always moves in in the winter. For during the winter, would in a bathroom be good, as it is often warm and humid from showering? My bathroom has a skylight so it gets as much light as there is outside. When first setting up the plant, do you need the special potting mix as well? Do you still want to have drainage holes in the bottom of the pot to get rid of excess water like with most plants, or is having the water sit in the bottom good? Those are such cool looking plants! I like the sort of jar shaped ones as well, they are very pretty.

Today I received a pothos plant, so I probably won't be getting a venus flytrap anytime soon, but hey, a plant is a plant! It is just one of the little sprouts that come off of the big runner vine things that was cut with the little baby roots. Has anyone kept these before? My main question is where did you keep them and in how much sunlight?

Today I received a pothos plant, so I probably won't be getting a venus flytrap anytime soon, but hey, a plant is a plant! It is just one of the little sprouts that come off of the big runner vine things that was cut with the little baby roots. Has anyone kept these before? My main question is where did you keep them and in how much sunlight?
Pothos is one of those plants that are hard to kill. They do very well in low light areas. They are great for growing indoors in offices.

Pothos is one of those plants that are hard to kill. They do very well in low light areas. They are great for growing indoors in offices.
Thanks! I currently have it near a window that gets pretty good light, but I may move it to my room on my desk where my spider plant is thriving. Are they similar in light level?

Thanks so much! I'm not sure how cold it gets outside, but any potted plants that my mom moves outside, she always moves in in the winter. For during the winter, would in a bathroom be good, as it is often warm and humid from showering? My bathroom has a skylight so it gets as much light as there is outside. When first setting up the plant, do you need the special potting mix as well? Do you still want to have drainage holes in the bottom of the pot to get rid of excess water like with most plants, or is having the water sit in the bottom good? Those are such cool looking plants! I like the sort of jar shaped ones as well, they are very pretty.
Warm and humid is good but no, a skylight is indirect light. Your fly trap wants direct sunlight or an equivalent. If you can't put it on a windowsill where it will get direct sunlight for several hours a day then you'll need a grow-light...one that gives light equivalent to direct sunlight. One less than that can keep your plant alive through the winter, until you can get it outside in the summer, but it won't thrive. I'd leave it in whatever soil mix you bought it in, which should be fine...Venus fly traps don't outgrow their pots quickly. And no, you want a pot with drainage holes in the bottom, which you will sit in a dish that holds water. You want the roots to always be wet, like the plant was in a bog or swamp. There is really no "excess water'' for a plant that grows in a bog.
The jar-shaped ones are pitcher plants, which you can Google...there are literally dozens of types/shapes/colors of those and they grow outside all the time. Summer, winter...they don't care. Here are a couple more pictures of our pitcher plants, with their weird, alien-like flowers.

Attachments

• 20200601_183753.jpg
    20200601_183753.jpg
    794.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200601_183812.jpg
    20200601_183812.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 8
Garden Pics:

Anyone know why my yellow summer squash looks so weird? the green/yellow marbling I have never seen.
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 8.03.52 AM.png

salvaged tomatoes from the removed plants. A lot of them should ripen...a few are iffy, but always worth a try.
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 8.06.39 AM.png

random volunteer pumpkin. what a nice shade of yellow.
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 8.05.55 AM.png

volunteer pumpkin - nicely ripening.
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 8.05.40 AM.png

Our raspberry bush is producing a few raspberries!! Shocked!
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 8.04.46 AM.png

neighbor's cat climbing our new chicken pen.
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 8.04.29 AM.png

Found on the carrots
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 8.04.03 AM.png

The "Cherokee Moon and Stars" watermelon is still producing flowers and even a baby melon. Yeah, I don't think that one will ripen either!
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 8.05.13 AM.png

Surprise!! A fairly large watermelon that escaped my notice! Its a pretty good size.
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 8.05.24 AM.png

Here is the one I had my eye on (not the surprise one above) and it was 15.5 lbs!
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 8.06.06 AM.png

Quite ripe inside! Yes, it was yummy!
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 8.06.15 AM.png

Morning everyone.

So my friend came over & we canned a bunch of pickles & pickled peppers from his garden. Also made a very basic hot sauce. It's too hot for me but DH likes it. I think I got 5 half pints, which I'm going to experiment with & when I get my PH meter today I'll can them. He likes it with lime juice & a little sweetener. I'd like to try pineapple.

Anyone know why my yellow summer squash looks so weird? the green/yellow marbling I have never seen.
I don't know but it's very pretty!

It was very chilly here last night, down to 43, they are talking frost for the next 2 nights. I'm not sure it will happen, nor am I sure if I have covering everything in me. I might pull the green tomatoes & cover that dahlias, I'm not sure. Or I might take my chances & let it go because I think they're exaggerating!

I couldn't find the dog this am, then he finally poked his head out. Guess he was chilly.
IMG_20200919_083730794.jpg

Back
Top Bottom