What did you do in the garden today?

My little mini garden is 64 sf. :gig Not including a bunch of pots with herbs & whatever strays didn't fit in the garden. But I do grow UP because I don't have the space in the fenced area to spread out so just about everything grows on a trellis.

There is only 2 of us, I always end up with tons of stuff to can or freeze & quite honestly, my back can't handle any more than that so I'm good! I had intended to add 4 more raised beds but I'm not going to do it - this year anyway. Maybe when I retire.

I ordered a flexible grow light with 4 LED bars. It came in today, so I put our poinsettia under it for now. The poinsettia is a survivor from Christmas that I'd like to keep alive. I'll be using the grow light for my indoor starts this year.

Speaking of indoor starts, can I start garlic indoors and then transplant it? Does it take transplanting well?

View attachment 2494716
That is awesome! I just went and ordered one so I can start stuff inside when it’s either too hot or cold to get them going outside, thank you!!

Good morning all. I added up my vegetable and herb garden space including grow pots and I've got a little over 300 square feet. One bed is dedicated to asparagus and two round beds are my herb gardens. Although I have lots more room that would be ideal to plant, unfortunately that would be the septic drain field. Theres another 6000 square feet of property that is all trees, so no planting there either. My fruit trees are in the front, road facing side of the property. This will be the second year that I'm building up my cutting garden in the front yard. I've got daffodils and tulips planted with perrennial BES and daisies. I'll be adding plenty of zinnias when the weather warms up as well as some carnations. I may be replacing my rose bush and hydrangea this spring. The roses are a small climbing variety that is not well suited for the area and only bloom for a short period of time and the hydrangea has never bloomed so it really needs to go.

Today was another day for harvesting the last of the Medlar fruits from last year's production. They have to be bletted for the best flavor. Here that is accomplished by allowing the fruits to hang on the tree and then experience a series of hard freezes. The fruit then becomes somewhat mushy and takes on somewhat of a flavor of cinnamon apple sauce. Shared some with a friend today and he took some home to his wife as it is a fruit that most people never experience eating ever. I believe it was first introduced into Greece about 700 BC so it has been in cultivation for many, many centuries. The tree is attractive in form and the flowers are a beautiful white with crepe-like petals. Nice to have this incorporated into the landscape as it most always is something that visitors have never seen nor tried as a fruit.

TroopMedlar Fruits 002 (2).JPG

Hardy to USDA zones 4-9 - should do perfectly in Zone 5. Purchased mine locally from Edible Landscaping in Virginia - they have a web site as well as catalog of many great edibles! Just checked, Edible Landscaping does not have it as part of their sales inventory now, but a web search yielded many other different suppliers. Good Luck to anyone wanting to add this unusual fruit to their home landscape!

Last edited:
Good afternoon gardeners. We had actual rain this morning although it’s partly sunny now and the breeze is picking up. We should have a good chance for more on Thursday and by early next week it’s supposed be only 60* for daytime highs. None of the peppers or tomatoes have sprouted, I’m pretty sure it’s just too cold, but I’m going to try the new grow light with more seeds and see how that goes. Nothing outside for me today except a little clean up and feeding/watering the ducks. I still don’t know for sure if Fig is a drake but I’ll pick up three more ducklings next week just in case. They’re also fawn and white Runners. Tonight we need to run to TSC for feed when hubs gets home, we’re taking the pups with us instead of going for a walk. Frank loves to go, Abby not so much but we take her anyway. Not much else is happening here. Have a good night.

Back
Top Bottom