What did you do in the garden today?

Those are gorgeous! I have to order those too.
Sometimes if you ask your feed store manager when they place their chick orders, they'll special order for you too.
We got our chicks from Farrs hardware, and they get their chicks from Hoover's and while Hoover's won't ship single chicks, if we have Farr's order them we can get one of each if we want. That said, they don't have muscovie ducks either.

Well Natasha, one of our sussex, finally laid an egg yesterday. I heard her screaming like she was being murdered but she was semi-crouched over one of the nests with a kind of panicky expression. I left her be but when I checked on her later she seemed fine and there was a lovely pale brown egg in that nest.

Cold here last night (for us) and a heavy frost but spring is coming! The trees and shrubs are starting to bud up with the coming spring, it's so exciting! I have borage coming up all over the yard and since most of them will be getting mowed while young and non-prickly, they'll be great great for the chickens and bunnies. I'll place all my seed orders once the next SS payment arrives. I need to get the first batch of snap peas started too.

Well Natasha, one of our sussex, finally laid an egg yesterday. I heard her screaming like she was being murdered but she was semi-crouched over one of the nests with a kind of panicky expression. I left her be but when I checked on her later she seemed fine and there was a lovely pale brown egg in that nest.

Did Mama Hen forget to have that "birds & eggs" conversation with poor Natasha? :gig

well after 2-3 days of rain we now have snow ,pretty heavy too! at least we aren,t flooding like some parts of the country .i think i,ll get some seed trays out the shed and try to grow some herbs in the kitchen ,i need to be growing something ! i,ll be doing some baking as well . lockdown is really doing my head in this time round .

Hi all. I love going to historical villages and learning how things were done. I wish I’d picked my husbands grandparents brains more when they were around but sadly, I didn’t. I think I might have got on better with his moms folks though. Anyway, nothing in the garden for me today. The wind blew over my trash can so I had a few soil bags to pick up and then I hung out with the ducks for a bit. I’m pretty positive Fig is a drake, here’s a pic of the man in question, in front. The voice is a whisper quack and he just looks like a guy to me
B8F5D54F-3212-46B7-A56F-A2A7055EFD27.jpeg

Here’s Bean getting up close as usual
5C4A1902-10D7-4B49-AB5E-8EF1DF7E68E6.jpeg

Pip in front, Bean in the back here
9489A1D8-CC46-4FF4-BD29-7926653992F2.jpeg

One of my girls went back to work today! First egg since Nov 19. Another one looks like she's thinking about it, but the third has a way to go. My garden diary is also my egg diary, so I can start writing stuff in it again. :yesss:

I can relate! While my chickens still aren't really laying, one of our ducks FINALLY laid their first egg! I have 5 female ducks that will be a year old in March. None of them have started laying....until today! :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom