What did you do in the garden today?

I did not think about strawberries at all but you guys talked too much about them. so when I went to buy some seedlings and saw strawberries I could not resist. got 3 plants, 1 already has fruits.

I got lettuce, beetroots, radish and to my surprise they already had tomatoes and peppers. I certainly got a few of them. now praying for tomato salad in may:yesss:

I should go pick some collards, mine aren't very impressive but there's enough for 1 batch of collards and bacon I'm sure. My romaine lettuce is sprouting now in the greenhouse, just in time too since I've started craving salad again. I got some nice baby lettuces at the store yesterday and I found the tomato based salad dressing (it's an imitation recipe for the one they had at my favorite Mexican restaurant that closed and it's delicious) so I see lots of salad on the horizon.

Oh and here is a pictorial record of Giant Beets vs Chickens:

View attachment 2547682
View attachment 2547683View attachment 2547684
View attachment 2547685

This morning there was nothing left but a hollowed out shell of the very top of the root so I tossed them in the compost. Beets are HARD, I am amazed at the destruction my girls wrought.
The man who gave me the strawberry plants grows betts for the leaves. Well this year rather than pull them out he decided to just til them under. The tiller didn’t make a dent in them. He just has a bunch of red beet rocks in his garden now. :gig Those things are bigger than softballs!

I got the potatoes and 4 out of 5 trays of tomatoes done I also got 2 pots of basil started. The last side of the fence is about a 1/3 done and I should be able to finish by the end of the week.
8195CF63-7DB2-485F-B824-A88D81C8AA7A.jpeg
F3B43CE8-42CF-49D5-BE48-1079C26CAA51.jpeg
10CA66D7-CE92-461F-A36F-8B8499A1C6BB.jpeg
235BEA9B-A060-45B5-8B56-1FF5E0E7EE1E.jpeg
D7811ED1-6E62-4DE9-8EB1-802BC28617F6.jpeg
0C17A34A-E3F9-4874-BF06-9F7948D6CFEB.jpeg
7E600557-9737-4042-B8D3-E041DF0878A2.jpeg

Last edited:
Morning all.

I got all the straw out of the chicken run, the girl who stayed here for the 3 weeks I was gone use an entire bale of straw on top of the snow for the chickens - I would have used 2 flakes. So it was starting to get wet & icky so I pulled it all out & put it in the compost. Way too much for the compost, but I'll layer it all summer. The compost pile is still frozen, I would have liked to have been able to turn it.

The wood chip pile was frozen too, I wanted a couple tractor bucket fulls for the run, but that wasn't happening. It's frozen mold, so not a good idea for the run. I'll have to wait for it to warm up & dump some on tarp & see how the mold goes.

I looked for purple green beans at TS yesterday, they didn't have any. :hit

My neighbor tried to get me to take her rooster, she thinks she has a late bloomer on her hands & he's a bit special, they call him Tilty. I would love a rooster, but not now. I'm still integrating the littles & just want peace in the flock!

Alright, have a great day!

Uh oh.... @RoseHawke, do you have any seedlings left...?
Fortunately I only have the four hens and I only let two out at a time plus I was right there, but they pretty much weren't taking "no" for an answer. Apparently "Shoo!" is not in their vocabulary. They weren't able to do more than grab a few leaves before I could grab the two Osgoods and put them back in their run.

ETA: At some point I'm going to build a chicken tractor so they can go out in the field for playtime without me having to worry about hawks or my garden.

Dug out all the seeds. Nope, I never bought onion or SanMarz tomato. So off to the farm store. two hours later, I'm home with 3 flower packets and onion seeds. Tomatoes will need ordered online. Done.
I'll plant the onions in about an hour.
Drive was LONG and boring and the people down the road had another massive drunken party last night, cars ripping up and down the road until past 1am, tires squealing and mufflers huffing. A Lot of missing testosterone over there. Even sleeping with my headset on, they woke me up several times. Idiots.
So I'm going to read and enjoy the quiet for a bit, then head out to the shed.

::Giggling at Tilty the Rooster::
20210228_145217.jpg

Secret dinosaur infestation? I hear they live in the walls.

Just got finished cleaning and sorting the sprouting shed. The trays needed counted, the cells organized, the seed stock checked. PLUGGED IN the timer and power. (No wonder the winter chestnuts never sprouted.) :lau All of that should have been done two months ago, but I'm just now giving a flying monkey butt about it.
View attachment 2547813
I made up 4 batches of seed starter, which filled 6 trays and left me enough to fill another probably 3 or 4. I have room for 6 trays on the shelves.

I'm HOPING to get a green house up this year so I can rotate down from the shed to the greenhouse. The shed area is part of the heated garage, so I can control their warmth a little better by closing the shelves off.

I have NO tomato seeds or onion seeds. NO idea how that happened. Dill, rape, and mustard is direct sown and I have plenty of that.

Besides that, tomatoes and onions is all the edibles this year. I MIGHT do a small stand of decorative corn to sell in the fall at market. We'll see. I have gem and glass blue.

The rest is all native flowers and cutting flowers for market.

Seed catalog from Territorial just arrived, but I'll buy local seed for the veg.

Last year I planted seed and bought plants. I hope not to have to buy plants (twice) this year.
Our definitions if "shed" may be different... that looks a bit larger than what I would call a shed. I think it qualifies for "out-building" or "shop". My shed is 10'x12' and that's considered large around here.

Back
Top Bottom