What did you do in the garden today?

My native plum trees are supposed to ship in the next 1-3 weeks. That seems a bit early to me. We are definitely still getting freezing temps in March, especially at night. I cannot seem to find info on transplanting native plum. Any thoughts on planting them outside or sticking them in pots indoors until things warm up a bit?
I received my two native plums and one persimmon last week, and planted them outside right away. We're in a warmer area than you (zone 8b, an hour south of Seattle) pretty wet but usually warmish (40 or more) earlier. I used those plastic tubes to shelter them for the time being, and mulched around their roots pretty heavily with pine chips. I'm no expert, but so far, so good.
When yours arrive, they're supposed to be in dormancy, so you could maybe plant them right away but set up a shelter from frost for when they start budding, like plastic tubes, mulch, fencing covered with row cloth.

I'm really anxious about my next tree that is supposed to be delivered, a red bud from Gurney's. Tracking the shipping, they sent it from their facility Feb.19th, it went to Kentucky, to Ohio, to Indiana, back to Ohio, back to Kentucky, again to Indiana, and finally on the way west, to Montana, some small town I've never heard of in my state Washington, and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Geez, I hope the roots are not all dried out!

It's not Gurney's fault, it's FedEx that sent it in a circular path for two weeks. Maybe because of snowstorms?

I hope it's still healthy when it arrives. I have a place dug for it, hoping for the best. Still waiting on my final two trees from Gurney's, butternut trees. They're not due until April, so we'll see.

I received my two native plums and one persimmon last week, and planted them outside right away. We're in a warmer area than you (zone 8b, an hour south of Seattle) pretty wet but usually warmish (40 or more) earlier. I used those plastic tubes to shelter them for the time being, and mulched around their roots pretty heavily with pine chips. I'm no expert, but so far, so good.
When yours arrive, they're supposed to be in dormancy, so you could maybe plant them right away but set up a shelter from frost for when they start budding, like plastic tubes, mulch, fencing covered with row cloth.

I'm really anxious about my next tree that is supposed to be delivered, a red bud from Gurney's. Tracking the shipping, they sent it from their facility Feb.19th, it went to Kentucky, to Ohio, to Indiana, back to Ohio, back to Kentucky, again to Indiana, and finally on the way west, to Montana, some small town I've never heard of in my state Washington, and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Geez, I hope the roots are not all dried out!

It's not Gurney's fault, it's FedEx that sent it in a circular path for two weeks. Maybe because of snowstorms?

I hope it's still healthy when it arrives. I have a place dug for it, hoping for the best. Still waiting on my final two trees from Gurney's, butternut trees. They're not due until April, so we'll see.
Be sure to soak the roots when it comes it may make it! I’m not happy with Fedexs shipping of live plants either. My native plum got delayed and they left it sitting upside down for a few days!
:barnie

Since we are talking about what's left still from last year's garden, I have at least 10 pumpkins (pie size) in the pantry still. They are not rotting. They have lasted since October. I've cooked a few. We like them, but pumpkin just doesn't fit into the menu regularly. I might just have to bake a bunch of pies and freeze them for later use or give to family and friends.
Make pumpkin soup! 12 oz pureed pumpkin, 12 oz mashed potatoes, 3 oz chunky peanut butter, 12 oz buttermilk, 12 oz vegetable stock. Lemon juice, nutmeg, cinnamon to taste, enough water to keep it soupy as it cooks down. You can double or triple this recipe as you need. Delicious!

@karenerwin it was me that suggested pumpkin chili. I don't have a recipe I use anymore, I'd have to just google it. In fact, it's going to be super cold here tmrw, I think I will make a big batch myself! It freezes well.

Morning all. Not much going on here, raining this am & supposed to be like below 0 wind chills tomorrow. Yay. 🙄

The littles are integrating well this time, last time I didn't do so good & ended up culling a mean girl. They're in 2 separate coops but a shared run. They can stay that way as long as they want as far as I'm concerned.

I opened my last jar of sugar free strawberry rhubarb jam, that's so sad. I'm going to have to make a lot more this year. I sure do wish I had my grandmothers recipe, hers was so delish & I can't seem to duplicate it.

I feel like I'm the only one here that has no desire to grow strawberries! I could never grow enough so I'd be buying them anyway so why bother, I don't have tons of space & I'd be fighting the birds. :idunno I do grow enough rhubarb tho!

Have a great day all.

@karenerwin it was me that suggested pumpkin chili. I don't have a recipe I use anymore, I'd have to just google it. In fact, it's going to be super cold here tmrw, I think I will make a big batch myself! It freezes well.

Morning all. Not much going on here, raining this am & supposed to be like below 0 wind chills tomorrow. Yay. 🙄

The littles are integrating well this time, last time I didn't do so good & ended up culling a mean girl. They're in 2 separate coops but a shared run. They can stay that way as long as they want as far as I'm concerned.

I opened my last jar of sugar free strawberry rhubarb jam, that's so sad. I'm going to have to make a lot more this year. I sure do wish I had my grandmothers recipe, hers was so delish & I can't seem to duplicate it.

I feel like I'm the only one here that has no desire to grow strawberries! I could never grow enough so I'd be buying them anyway so why bother, I don't have tons of space & I'd be fighting the birds. :idunno I do grow enough rhubarb tho!

Have a great day all.
I may feel that way about strawberries if my planned 10' long bed doesn't produce enough to suit our needs. I would like to be able to snack on them and make jam and pie filling. We don't need a ton of jam or pie filling, but at least a few jars. The kids love eating strawberries fresh though. The goal is to not have to buy them at the store, at least night while they are in season here.

Good morning gardeners. Still enjoying above freezing temps for now. Although the mud is getting thicker and deeper, the ice dams on the roof are shrinking. We are getting a cold blast for about 36 hours of sub-freezing temps and wind before it warms up again. I sat down and inventoried all my seeds and tossed the old ones. I do need to buy a few more vegetable seeds and a few more 4 inch peat pots. I plan on starting a tray of kale plants indoors to use as microgreens. I tried the toilet paper tubes a couple of years ago but they got moldy from being damp so I prefer the peat pots. And using the 4 inch size eliminates transplanting into larger pots before setting them outside. I will be direct sowing a lot of my stuff so 36 pots are plenty for vegetable starts and flowers.

LIve plants took a round about way to try to find, or wait out, a way around the arctic cold.
Your tree should be fine, They're packed well and still dormant.

Have a great day all.
I have three strawberry plants, but they're for DH to pick from fresh.
I'm allergic. He wants them, he has to pluck 'em.

----
If the wind stays down, I'll put the pop-up 6x9 foot hot house up. The weather will be glorious all week.
I'll plant the onions today in the shed, and maybe a couple of flowers.
Otherwise it's a housework catch-up kind of day.

Back
Top Bottom