What did you do in the garden today?

So question...I plan to plant thai ginger (galangal), regular ginger, and turmeric. Do I need to fence them off from the chickens, or will some of those be left alone? Had a hard time finding info online...

In general, I'm looking for plants that chickens will leave alone...flowers or food. Our back yard is currently very bare because I never know what will survive the free ranging fluffy dinos, but will also not poison them. Ideas appreciated.

I'm zone 7b.

I'm shocked. My marigolds never smell overly strong. Last year I wanted them all throughout the garden, but never got around to planting them. I did have them down the edge of the driveway though. I walked past them every day and never noticed much of an odor. Perhaps it's the open air dispersing the odor or maybe it's just because there were just 3 or plants along the ~20ft stretch.
That said, I have 50 marigolds growing in a tray right now. I will definitely be incorporating them in the garden this year to see if they truly work to keep bugs and rabbits away. As a bonus experiment, I hear the flowers are great for chickens and can deepen the color of their egg yolks. We shall see...
OH the egg yolk thing is totally true!

So question...I plan to plant thai ginger (galangal), regular ginger, and turmeric. Do I need to fence them off from the chickens, or will some of those be left alone? Had a hard time finding info online...

In general, I'm looking for plants that chickens will leave alone...flowers or food. Our back yard is currently very bare because I never know what will survive the free ranging fluffy dinos, but will also not poison them. Ideas appreciated.

I'm zone 7b.
This is why I fenced in my garden. Dogs, chickens and ducks just don't have garden manners. Can you fence in an area or add some raised beds wrapped with netting or wire? If that's out of the question, trees and shrubs are a great way to go for producing your own fruit. Apples, pears, peaches, cherries, gooseberries, plums... the list goes on. For smaller things, I'm trying a native onion this year. It's small, the prairie onion. But it produces an edible onion as well as a lovely flower cluster. I'm incorporating them in a new flower border on the outside of the garden fence. Sources claim that ducks and chickens will not bother with them.

I'm zone 7b.
They won't leave anything alone unless it's a weed you want gone. :gig

On squash the moschata group has the least bug problems . The pepo group has the most bug problems . Except small ornamental gourds . You can actually fry them when very small . I have crossed them with summer squash . You get a semi bush that will get quite large . Have to use them before they get tough . Good resistance to vine boers .

The wild onions in our back yard do seem to get left alone by the chickens, so hope it works for you! I have a small amount of chicken wire leftover...maybe I can rig up a small protected area for my tropical spices, at least until the plants are established.

But are there any people on here with nice looking yards with chickens? I see photos online of chickens wandering between lovely flowers and shrubs, but not at all sure how to get started or if the photos are just staged and those chickens don't actually free range there.

The wild onions in our back yard do seem to get left alone by the chickens, so hope it works for you! I have a small amount of chicken wire leftover...maybe I can rig up a small protected area for my tropical spices, at least until the plants are established.

But are there any people on here with nice looking yards with chickens? I see photos online of chickens wandering between lovely flowers and shrubs, but not at all sure how to get started or if the photos are just staged and those chickens don't actually free range there.
My guess is staged. Or day one after buying grown chickens by people who don’t have a clue. Chickens scratch, dig, eat, repeat..oh, and poop, preferentially on the walking paths it seems.

Back
Top Bottom