What did you do in the garden today?

Last night, I checked my starters to see if they need water. No green. Today? :lol: The tomatoes are up, and the peppers are pushing through too.
My rhubarb is starting to come up. I’m anxious to see what happens after a rotten jerk “did me a favor” by cutting my grass when I said to stay away. The damage was pretty bad. Poor bunnies. Poor clothes line. Poor rhubarb and mint.
Had that happen last year .

I couldn't resist and bought 2 cucumber, 2 plum tomatoes and 2 long red pepper (greek variety) seedlings. I will plant them today.
Nothing is like homegrown cucumber ❤
I've just sowed cucumber, but here in my part of Norway, they can't be moved out to my greenhouse before the end of may. But I 'm so looking forward to the first cucumber. Even the children can tell the difference.

yesterday we had heavy hailstones ,snow and rain all in one day .bright and sunny today but cold.my onion sets are sprouting well ,think i can see some peas starting ,nothing else though ,loads of seeds sprouting in the house just wish i could get them outside.forecast cold for next few days so just waiting .

yesterday we had heavy hailstones ,snow and rain all in one day .bright and sunny today but cold.my onion sets are sprouting well ,think i can see some peas starting ,nothing else though ,loads of seeds sprouting in the house just wish i could get them outside.forecast cold for next few days so just waiting .
Wow, that’s quite the weather you’ve had!

Yeah, my onion sets are supposed to ship mid-late May. Grrr..... Originally I saw end of March to mid April.

Ah, but the junk mail I'm getting is here now. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Not.
Wow! I'd be very annoyed with that, that's too late for onions!
Good afternoon gardeners. @Sueby I was happy to read that your toe is doing better! I just came in from watering and watching the ducks enjoy the fresh water in their kiddie pool. The water still runs cool despite the warm afternoons so that’s a plus. Our temps will be headed down to the 80s next week, that was a nice surprise, also less wind over the next few days. Tomorrow we’ll be weeding and straightening, I am going to try the new set up for draining the pond liner to water the oleanders and hubs is going to mount a gravity feeder in the duck house for me. I hate having stuff on the floor in there. The basil has bolted already and it’s not even six inches tall yet :rant Guess that will come out tomorrow as well. The TX sage is really coming back great and I’ve seen quite a few hummingbirds visiting the aloe flowers as well. I’m pretty sure one lives in the tree outside the duck house, I hear the little chirps out there all the time. I have an old cement bird bath that I’d like to do something with but I’m not sure what. I was thinking about painting it a different color and putting it in the shade garden as a water source for the lizards that live in there. If the elephant ears live it would look cute under those with the small gnomes near it maybe. It’s currently Chevy orange but it’ll definitelyneed to have a color change! Anyway, sorry to ramble, but it helps me think. Have a great night all!
I have (funny enough) an elephant ear bird bath that a friend made for me that sits on the ground that I keep full for the little critters. I figure the bees & such need water too!
It does appear, @BReeder! that it is your hot peppers that are tiny, so it may be that hot peppers start more slowly. My peppers are pokey, and I think the hot ones are more so.
My hot peppers are muuuuch slower going that the not hot peppers for sure. From actually sprouting to now growing. Soo much slower.

Morning all. DH had to do all the animal chores yesterday & stir the compost. It really stinks sitting here doing nothing when there's so much to do but it won't be long till I can get a shoe on. I did take a couple pics, the offending cold frames, lettuce on the right & the mini daffodils.
IMG_20210409_140542463.jpg
IMG_20210409_135959356.jpg

Put the fig tree outside.
IMG_20210410_141607932.jpg

The garlic is looking really good. The shallots, not nearly as good.
IMG_20210409_140846105.jpg

Onions are easy. I get mine in early, mulch them & side dress with either compost or fertilizer. Water once or twice a week. I mulch mine until the bulbs start to grow, then I pull it back so the bulbs can pop up out of the soil. When the greens start to flop over its time to harvest. You can use the greens any time of the year too as green onions, so if you over crowd every thing like I do it's a good way to thin them out.

Back
Top Bottom