What did you do in the garden today?

Did some more edging stones around the front garden area and did some cuttings from my forsythia to root and give to my neighbor.

Planning to plant 2 more dahlias today, and maybe the oakleaf hydrangea we've had in a pot since last fall.

The stuff we bought and planted last week looks like it's all going to make it, and the irises are getting ready to bloom!

The beets are growing well (bought them at the farmer's market...intended for eating, but I planted them so we could have the greens).

Stopped by the store to pick up some lemons for my water.... Holy smokes! Check out the price of berries! 😳 For a TINY half pint container...

View attachment 2608792

Strawberries were $8 for 2 lbs! 😳😳😳
That sounds normal around here even precovid. Its why I only buy berries in season at the farmers market now. I did plant some berry bushes this year.
Yeah, I ordered some of those strawberry towers- as soon as they get here, I’m fillin em up. Now, I just need to figure if I can raise blueberries
What is your concern about raising blueberries?

I was gone to visit friends so I didn’t get anything done this weekend. I just got home a few hours ago. Nobody watered the greenhouse while I was gone so those plants were looking really rough. They seem to be perking up now though. My dad found a large rat snake in the coop while I was gone last night. I’m glad I wasn’t home! It was relocated to the shed with a rat problem. The first of the strawberries are starting to color up so I’m very excited. The last daffodils started blooming yesterday while I was gone and so did the Iris. My hatch is going well so far. I candled today and tossed out 1 clear and 1 blood ring. The other 31 look to be in good shape.
0FF2FCC5-2038-4487-A13B-E462305704E0.jpeg
23DE7326-77E0-45AC-959E-A31FE5BC97FC.jpeg
E694DC5E-4B4D-41A9-BAA9-54DA3FF3DF4B.jpeg
A9740062-4A95-4919-8CA1-2BBD085D68E3.jpeg
952AE93D-1170-4626-B08E-32D10A39153E.jpeg
A3A2FF1B-2240-4924-B1ED-1187C46483FD.jpeg
D6496037-9AB6-4E50-B780-4C3CF44B2ED0.jpeg
DDDFBE9F-31DD-4B8F-9E0A-3F31CEB658B8.jpeg

@Wee Farmer Sarah, thanks for the pics, do let me know if the weed whacker works out. Looks perfect for cutting around DPs shrubs and flowers. Much better than wrestling the gas mower around.
My snowball bush is glorious this year too.
We had one of those when I was a kid, so pretty!
I have (funny enough) an elephant ear bird bath that a friend made for me that sits on the ground that I keep full for the little critters. I figure the bees & such need water too!
DP wants to make one of those using a rhubarb leaf as a mold. We have an oversized plant saucer back on the bluff for the little critters now, a big leaf would look much nicer and give the tiny things the rough stone to climb out.
Got up late suppose to have sun for a solid week here :frow
Here too, but are you getting really cold nights to go with it? It got down to freaking 29 last night! :he I'm going to start another tray of peppers and a few more tomatoes, I'm not sure how many freezing nights my seedlings can stand. Once the greenhouse warmed up the tomatoes and pepper seedlings stood upright again.
. My dad found a large rat snake in the coop while I was gone last night. I’m glad I wasn’t home! It was relocated to the shed with a rat problem.
That is a skinny looking snake, hope he finds some rat and mouse nests to clear out, looks like he could use a few solid meals.

Started watering the hedgerow and bluff today, looks like a really dry spring and summer coming. Started some runner beans for DP in 4" pots, I know you aren't really supposed to transplant them but the grass grows over anything we put in the ground so I want to get them a good head start. Oh and some of the garlic that I planted in the fall is sending up flowers?!? Should they be doing that? Should I cut them off? They aren't ready to pull yet at all and they didn't do that last year with the same planting times so I'm kinda freaked. Got the weeding doing around them and the shallots anyway. The marigolds, kale, and thyme are sprouting nicely, still waiting on the Italian Ice tomatoes, and the coneflowers.

I coaxed a few of the ladies out of the run again today for about 15 minutes or so. They're getting a little braver, the geriatric dogs don't worry them but the cat got the stink-eye. Glyness still isn't laying, maybe she's too fat, she is a huge girl, bigger than the BO even. If I end up having to do the deed she will be a heck of a meal.

I let DS pick out a new bird bath for the front of the house. Of course he picked a blue glass one - it's his favorite color. I got a brass fountain to go in the bath. It's a hummingbird collecting nectar from a flower and the flower overflows with water that runs back down into the bath. I also planted 5 lb of seed potatoes and 3 rhubarb crowns (supposed to be 5 but I lost 2) with DS. He enjoyed tossing potatoes in holes after I used my drill and bulb auger to dig them. While planting the rhubarb I noticed my native plums are showing signs of life worth the tiniest bits of greenery starting to sprout from what seemed like dead twigs.

I think the "Buy" bug must be catching... I took DH with me to Lowe's yesterday to get posts for the nets we are going to put over the chicken yard (in our 2nd attempt to try to keep them in). We walked out with a crap ton of hot peppers, more squash, marigolds, sage, and bee balm.

Spent at least 6 or 7 hours in the garden yesterday. Got a lot of stuff planted but I was wiped out at the end of the day.

Decided to take the day off today. After church we took the 4 wheeler up to the National Forest to look for mushrooms. We've lived in the South for nearly 18 years now. We've looked for mushrooms for years and never find any. This year we got a lead on where to find them.... Only we went to the wrong place.
crying_zpsc7fb0b5f.gif

Oh well, at least we know where to go next year... I'm going to find mushrooms down here someday before I die....

Back
Top Bottom