What did you do in the garden today?

I knew they tracked certain chemicals, such as Ammonium Nitrate. I have had to take certain hazmat and other classes on explosives with my work in law enforcement and emergency management. I just didn't realize that 2 4-D was on that list. What is REALLY dumb is that you need a license to purchase a 64 oz jug but you can buy up to 6 1 Qt bottles without a license. :hmm Mind boggling.
Yup. Practically had to give a retinal scan and blood sample to buy my 500 pounds of ANitrate. Lawn looks nice though.

Done moving things into the greenhouse - for this week.
7C78B22990F7_1619116217373.png

I got yet more weeding done and the chicks big brooder set up. I also had to do a lot of watering because it’s been extremely dry here. The exciting thing though is I planted 3 rows of sunflowers! It’s the first thing to go in the main garden this year!
Edit: forgot to add I almost stepped on a small king snake down by the coop this morning. I was happy to see it (even if it scared the daylights) out of me since they eat most poisonous snakes

Last edited:
I found some new Sweetheart of the Patio tomato seedlings in the cells (top left cell and middle right cell)! Which is good because, as you can see, they started looking pretty rough (one is coming up in the cell of a seedling that I'm not sure is going to make it).

I have to get more seed starting soil to start seeds for my sister-in-law and her family (I'm living vicariously through them).
860FD052-FC82-4DEC-8698-EE1846863340.jpeg

I'd say today was a success. I led two training workshops back to back for 6 hours from the home office. Then the Gurneys box was here. I had to call and get credited for the purple majesty potatoes and rhubarb because they were not in good shape - the rhubarb roots were soft and one looked rotted at the crown and some of the purple potatoes were rotting especially one that was just mush and oozing liquid. The mountain rose potatoes were in the same box but in perfect condition. I got outside and planted everything that arrived that was not totally rotten including the rhubarb that didn't look too good. Hoping for the best. DD helped plant the potatoes which made it a bit of fun. Then I went ahead and planted glass gem corn in the three sisters mounds. In a few weeks I will plant the beans and then I'll transplant squash, watermelon and pumpkins I'm starting under the lights to grow around the mounds. I transplanted parsley and dill and planted seeds for cilantro and bunching onions in the herb bed. DS and I planted 100 stuttgarter onion sets in the same bed as the garlic. I finished that bed off then by planting a section of parsnip seeds.

I feel like I made a lot of progress. Weather forecast looks like I'm frost free now. My frost date ranges from May 1st to May 8th. I doubt frost here after the 1st and the forecast shows no frost in the next 10 days. 🤞

EDIT: I had enough typos to send me back to first grade. 🤣

Last edited:
Check this out - was googling Victoria rhubarb & I always end up down the rabbit hole...
View attachment 2627827

I saw that you posted this the other day and I've been meaning to reply to it. I ordered these pineberries about 3 years ago. However I made the mistake of planting them in rather small containers (8" pots). Most died but I had 2 that have held on over the past 3 years with just a few pitiful leaves. Last fall I transplanted them into the strawberry tower. Two SMALL pitiful plants, mind you, with no more than 5 leaves between them.

20210325_165612.jpg

That front tire is those two plants now... They have completely taken over the entire tire and are now sending runners over the side. Leaves are bushy and big, approximately 10 - 12 inches tall. HOWEVER it has produced less than a handful of flowers, none of which have created a berry bigger than my pinky nail. Disappointing but if you read the comments section on the sites that sell them you will see my experience seems to be the norm. Many people end up tearing them out and planting something else. I haven't decided if I want to use it as a trap crop, give it another year, or pull them.... I planted two Ozark Beauty on one side of that tire because I didn't realize how much those two pitiful plants were going to go overboard. The Ozark Beauty are completely engulfed and likely crowded out.... I might pull some plants just to save the Ozark Beauty which ARE producing nice berries...

Back
Top Bottom