What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning all. I think the frost danger is finally over. :fl The temps are in the mid 40's right now and the wind is still cooling things down, but it's not freezing. The forecast starting tomorrow is headed into the low 70's. Thank goodness. I did manage to get some weeding done in one of the herb beds yesterday and painted the black bench again. I've had the bench for a little over ten years now and it needs some touch ups every other year. At least three of the white potatoes are starting to come up. I need to run out this morning and pick up replacement seeds in case I need to re-plant the corn and lima beans. I also need to pick up some more dirt for the containers. The pollen count today is "extreme." I believe it, I already took the Benedryl chaser to my Flonase. Next up are the antihistamine eye drops. My Cortland apple tree is getting closer to pushing out leaves and hopefully blossoms. Time is running out for the crabapple and Empire apple trees as they are in mid bloom right now. The peach tree is doing well and I'm hoping to get some fruit from it this year. Again, :fl!

I am right between the tallest peak this side of the Mississippi and another hige mountain, and am resisting the urge to plunk my tomatoes out until Sunday. My alabama gardening instincts are telling me I am running behind, but WNC last frost date is May 15. Last year I killed 80 plants with my overly eager hardening off.
That's the way I was when I moved up here. Waiting until the end of May or June 1st feels SO SO ODD!

my german shepherd male dog would make deers disapear for good within 3 minutes, lol.
Thanks to the lady across the way, these things aren't afraid of dogs. They'll run if chased, but not even the sight of people bother them.
The pollen count today is "extreme." I believe it, I already took the Benedryl chaser to my Flonase. Next up are the antihistamine eye drops.
:😆:

Greenhouse has been propped open. We're hoping to get 3.5 inches of rain the next ten days which would be WONDERFUL for the hayfields, ground moisture, and pastures. I have fresh seed down and waiting in the pasture. Most of the guys are busting their butts getting corn and beans down. Ranchers are finishing up moving cattle from stalks/stubble to pasture. A steady week of on and off sun and rain is AWESOME!

Egg delivery this morning. A batch of Butter Tablet to be made for Open Shop Friday, and I'll do the cookies tomorrow. I made a batch of IceCream Sand yesterday - tropical version (with coconut). I'm hoping to sell a BUNCH of tomatoes, the greenhouse is busting!

Not much in the garden today. Yesterday I replanted the glass gem corn and wrapped some wire fencing around the mounds it's planted in to keep our drake from getting to them any more. I need to get netting up to keep him from getting over their fence into the garden but need to go get some sort of poles to hold it. I may pick up new seed potatoes to plant too.

The weather has been so funky lately. I'm glad the forecast is looking better finally. Hopefully Mother Nature has straightened out her attitude. Things are growing in the garden, but a bit slower than normal so far. The warmer weather ahead will hopefully give everything a boost.

It’s still to wet to get in the garden. It’s been raining every other day for the past week. The wet cool weather is making it hard to get motivated. I’m going to try to get stuff in the ground in the flower beds today and cut some poles for the next tomato trellis. Finally got around to setting traps for the mice getting into the feed. All 3 were sprung but one was empty.

Attachments

• B555452C-6F56-4B41-B4ED-E2C32CCB4A55.jpeg
    B555452C-6F56-4B41-B4ED-E2C32CCB4A55.jpeg
    714 KB · Views: 2
  • 59BE5C4F-B732-47D6-9FD9-5914291009E8.jpeg
    59BE5C4F-B732-47D6-9FD9-5914291009E8.jpeg
    647.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 84A9A953-CA7D-4312-9D33-2A8BEBB23924.jpeg
    84A9A953-CA7D-4312-9D33-2A8BEBB23924.jpeg
    637.2 KB · Views: 2
What site or app do you prefer for checking weather that let's you know about frost warning. Surprisingly, it's something that's not included in many of the weather forecasts.
Or are you just watching the news? I can't do that between lack of time and fighting for tv access with children.
I watch the news. I pay for said TV and all the things required for it to work. The kids can get over it. I’m the adult and make the rules, when they pay the bills they can make them.
That being said, sometimes I don’t have time so I check the local news website and if the temps are cold enough at night and I’ve had to water, I cover to be on the safe side. Condensation from warm, moist soil at night creates dew and the freezing temps create frost. Here’s a pretty cool link to info on it
https://www.weather.gov/source/zhu/ZHU_Training_Page/fog_stuff/Dew_Frost/Dew_Frost.htm

Back
Top Bottom