What did you do in the garden today?

Mine started growing kinda late last year. We got luffa, but not dried. However, did get some light dried luffa at the end. We finished drying the luffa indoors.

This year, they were planted direct and are growing. Again, we are not likely to see dried luffa on the vine, but you should still try it out!

How did you dry indoors? Just hang it like you do with garlic?

I'm going to try to plant them this evening when it cools down. The hard part is figuring out where to put it. I have a cattle panel I can use as a trellis but I need a place to put it where the goats, horses, or chickens can't destroy it.

Figured the onions are done as they could be. Been a poor season for them. between the freeze then around a month of almost daily rain, they have not fared well. Many spoiled in the ground. Many split. I usually get 50 -75 lbs of onion bulbs. Will get maybe 20 lbs this year, depending in how many of these are actually salvageable.
About 8 QT bags today of tomatoes and 6 Qt. bags of bush beans & Mrs. Lobo's long beans. Yeah, they are going into the freezer. Haven't gotten into canning yet. Have been contemplating it though. If it weren't for the generator to keep freezers going during blackouts I would be screwed.
And Cayenne peppers in the dehydrator. 2 yrs. ago I filled up the 9 tray Excalubur, dried and chopped enough to fill 2 qt bags of red pepper flakes. Gave one away and still working on the other bag. Will probably give this one away too. S'ok, Got plenty of children to soak up the excess from our garden!
Happy trails!

2 yrs. ago I filled up the 9 tray Excalubur, dried and chopped enough to fill 2 qt bags of red pepper flakes.
Wow, that's a lot of cayenne peppers! I have a 9 tray Excalibur, and I know how much stuff shrinks when it dries.

I just froze a quart of halved strawberries. It's the first time we've had some to freeze. It's their 3rd season; last year we got "snacking" amounts. I lengthened the beds last year, so I have about an extra 4 feet to fill in with new plants from runners.

I steamed some garlic scapes to go with my lunch. Oh, so good! Like garlicy green beans, but a little more crunchy.

I didn't get the lawn cut - forgot I need to fill the gas can. I did make progress on the duck run renovation as we got the old pond home nearly completely filled. A storm came so we had to stop working, but we made a lot of progress. About another dozen wheel barrows of dirt and we should be done with this stage of the project.
DW also managed some weeding before I recruited her to help shovel dirt.

This hole used to be 4ft deep. Now it's about 12" deep after filling it with debris. At last 1/3 of the surface is topped of already with dirt.
20210612_151202.jpg

Potato is showing this on leaves. Only a couple of plants, only a few leaves. Plants look fine otherwise. What is it?
View attachment 2715621View attachment 2715622

Beans are climbing!
View attachment 2715623

I went into he coop later in the afternoon yesterday. Here are some of the top chickens. No surprise, all 4 of the ones we kept from our first batch of chicks are on the top, along with two from the batch the following year. So these are our old biddies L to R: Sylvia, Marigold, Jasmine, Lacey, Galadriel, and Kili.
View attachment 2715624
Could be late blight. Remove damaged leaves immediately and throw them in the trash or burn them. Keep an eye out for further damage. Hopefully it's just a foliage fungus and not blight that could damage your tubers.

Back
Top Bottom