What did you do in the garden today?

@BReeder! That bucket of habaneros looks so pretty! Wish you were close enough to drop by and buy some from you. DH would love some, but I don't grow hot peppers anymore.

Just a warning, since you are dehydrating peppers - make sure to scrub well and get all the pepper oils off the dehydrator trays before using them again. One year I dehydrated some hot peppers and some green peppers for DH and didn't get the trays clean enough afterward. The apple chips tasted like hot peppers. Not good, especially as I am intolerant of peppers. I now stick the trays in the dishwasher and run them through the cycle to get them really clean. It is nice that my dishwasher has a removable top rack.:D

@BReeder! That bucket of habaneros looks so pretty! Wish you were close enough to drop by and buy some from you. DH would love some, but I don't grow hot peppers anymore.

Just a warning, since you are dehydrating peppers - make sure to scrub well and get all the pepper oils off the dehydrator trays before using them again. One year I dehydrated some hot peppers and some green peppers for DH and didn't get the trays clean enough afterward. The apple chips tasted like hot peppers. Not good, especially as I am intolerant of peppers. I now stick the trays in the dishwasher and run them through the cycle to get them really clean. It is nice that my dishwasher has a removable top rack.:D
I have to double check that the trays are dishwater safe, but that would certainly be easier than scrubbing them. I was considering running them in used lard I fried with the other day and then scrubbing them with hot soapy water - capsaicin is far soluble.

DH was a man on a mission yesterday evening. He got home after a long day at work and started busting pallets. Got a good pile of wood out there now, sorted by thickness, and he's getting antsy about ordering chicks. I'd like to see progress on a coop before I hit a buy button though, especially with as many dogs as we have on just this street. I can't free range at all.

I also have a vague memory of a guy in the UK bringing home a bunch of bananas with a Brazilian Wandering Spider in them. That's why I check at all, to be honest. I don't need deadly, exotic spiders coming home from the grocery store when I have tons of black widows already!

I have lost all control of the strawberries. I had them all planned out & spaced perfectly but I couldn't keep up with the runners.
In my case it's the grass runners getting in the strawberry raised bed. The berry runners are just going to get sheered off as they crawl out of the bed like really bad sneaky snakes. :)

Sorry spider, you're not allowed in my shower where I have to close my eyes to wash my face! :gig
Oh that is just the worst! I have to take off my glasses to take a shower and I just can't see much but I sure can see a burry dark spot that appears to be running along the white tile or white bath-tub.

It got down to 46 here last night so I'm watching the tomato plants that nearly all have a ton of mostly green fruit with a good deal of apprehension. I've canned a bunch of salsa and chunk tomatoes but only 9 quarts of sauce so far and I really want to get more quarts, some pints of sauce and then both ketchup and bbq sauce made before I lose the season. I'll start pulling the spent cherry tomato plants out of their pots and get the pots dragged out of the fenced in area. I haven't let the chickens free range since we've started letting Penny completely loose in the back yard.

Penny's coming along amazingly. She has bad days when she slips back but that's to be expected. She decided the sound the alarm system makes when a door is opened (a little soft bleep) was super scary and it made her jumpy but now she's over that. The trainer said to turn on some music loud enough to make it harder but not impossible to hear and I swear that worked immediately. And now she ignores the sound again.

Here are pictures of my paste . You can make sauce this way also . Just add some juice until it is the thickness you want . So much less cooking . The fuzzy pic has the cider bag . Yield 4 half pint jars plus 14 jars of light juice out of a half bushel .
Do you have instructions or a recipe for this? I need paste and I've had that clean tomato juice before and the flavor was excellent!

Last batch of apple butter and the dilly beans:
20210913_090053.jpg

Tomato sauce:
20210913_090008.jpg

The dill pickles I made a couple of weeks ago turned out great.

Back
Top Bottom