What did you do in the garden today?

Picked the garden pretty clean yesterday so not much happening there. Got the brooder ready & in the process got stung by a whiteface hornet. They're just mean for no reason. :hit
I was cleaning up dog doots yesterday and as I was approaching a target that a fly had just landed on, a bald faced hornet (what they call white faced hornets here) slammed into the fly like a falcon hitting a pigeon. The hornet beat the fly up a little then flew off with it. They're usually only a problem here if they make a nest close to the ground and so too close to people. They normally make their nests way high up in trees. That said they can be really nasty.
Making a green tomato salsa today
Salsa fresca sounds like a plan for me today. Time to make more cowboy candy too, I have way more peppers than I expected.

Nice habaneros, @BReeder!

I feel your pain. Butternut squash has always been my "no fail" crop. I might get ONE if it ripens. I didn't get female blossoms until mid-late August! Plenty of male flowers, but 0 females.

A few years ago, I got 90 b-nuts. Last year it was over 50. Sigh.

I really had not considered a failed Butternut cup squash harvest, but I guess I'm not the only one with a disappointing year. I really like the buttercup squash and usually I have enough to get through most of the winter. Hope next year will be better.

FYI, because of the drought, I stopped mowing my lawn around the end of May and still have not needed to mow the lawn here in mid September. Normally, I would have been mowing my lawn twice a week during the summer months. I'll be mowing up the fall leaves soon, but the lawn grass was mostly dead this summer.

I really had not considered a failed Butternut cup squash harvest, but I guess I'm not the only one with a disappointing year. I really like the buttercup squash and usually I have enough to get through most of the winter. Hope next year will be better.

FYI, because of the drought, I stopped mowing my lawn around the end of May and still have not needed to mow the lawn here in mid September. Normally, I would have been mowing my lawn twice a week during the summer months. I'll be mowing up the fall leaves soon, but the lawn grass was mostly dead this summer.
And if I don't mow this Prairie grass every 7 days on the dot, I'm up to my eyeballs in hours.
OC this stuff grows at half and inch a day or more.

The following is a PSA...

I bought organic bananas at the store yesterday (no ripe un-organic ones available), didn't check them too carefully, brought them home and up in the crook of the bunch there was a.... web.... with a resident of unknown type and origin. :thIt has since been torched and disposed of.

Always check your banana bunch crooks. Thank you.

Well came home 100 miles each way picked up 5 large birds not banty have photos now
004.jpg
007.jpg

Last edited:
Morning all.

I had mentioned here a little while ago that my Sassafras trees were wilting, well now they're all DEAD. I contacted UConn & they want to come out & take samples. I contacted them hoping they could help me save the trees but I think it's too late for that, but hopefully they can at least figure out why.

It is! My neighbor made it for us & I adore it! It's the perfect bench for the garden & then in the winter we bring it in & use it to take off our snow boots. 😍
My husband is a woodworker, and I showed him the picture because it really is beautiful. He asked me if it was red cedar right away. I said, "I don't know. I have as much info as you do at this point. :gigI'll ask."

I really hope the trees aren't unsaveable!

Back
Top Bottom