What did you do in the garden today?

I use the second knuckle of my index finger to gauge the holes, Probably less than two inches cover the cloves top. That may or may not be right somewhere else! or if your fingers are shorter or longer than mine! Onions are similar done by me from transplants for scallions, or about one inch shallower for my main crop onion bulbs, also from transplants. For direct from seeds I shallow plant them about 1/4 inch deep at most and let them rip and thin /transplant the thinnings! If they are to be scallions from direct planted seeds , I may hill them up an inch or two, to encourage a longer white shank after they get going. I plant my main crop onions in late September or early October here. That is sooner than I do garlic. Learned that by experience at this location and from advice from others.
Wait, are onions to be planted in the Fall also? I'm zone 5 mind you. I've been planting onion sets in the Spring. Can I plant them in the Fall like garlic? I swear I researched onions before. Also, I like the stutgarter (didn't spell check that) if the variety matters.

Now I plant mid-end of October. Like, today. It's warm and sunny, and supposed to cool right down and rain. I figure it's perfect timing.
I plan to plant my garlic soon here too. Zone 5 also. I will plant the walking onions at the same time. Probably next week whenever I did free time to get out there and do it.

Wait, are onions to be planted in the Fall also? I'm zone 5 mind you. I've been planting onion sets in the Spring. Can I plant them in the Fall like garlic? I swear I researched onions before. Also, I like the stutgarter (didn't spell check that) if the variety matters.
The multiplier onions and Egyptian Walking Onions get planted in the fall, like garlic. I plant my "regular" onion sets in the spring. I like Stuttgarter and Red Baron the best.

I never thought about planting them in the fall in my climate... Anyone in Zone 5 do that?

OMG, hilarious! But oh so beautiful.
I love the high plains and the desert alpine regions of the great American far west! I spent hours searching the low growing tremendous diversity of plants in the High plains of Wyoming! The high winds don't favor tall trees so much, but plenty of life going on at the ground level! Interesting to watch the habitat change as you keep ascending from Denver to Wyoming's high plains and mountains. Another 1000 ft. of elevation or two makes a lot of difference and the wide open plains let the mountain winds rip! God has blessed us all, with the ability to live all over this planet, fairly successfully! You just have to be tough and adaptable, more so in some areas!

Attachments

• IMG_7014.JPG
    IMG_7014.JPG
    615.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7021.JPG
    IMG_7021.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7040.JPG
    IMG_7040.JPG
    606 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6984.JPG
    IMG_6984.JPG
    496.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7043.JPG
    IMG_7043.JPG
    519.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7010.JPG
    IMG_7010.JPG
    548.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6979.JPG
    IMG_6979.JPG
    740.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6962.JPG
    IMG_6962.JPG
    622.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6972.JPG
    IMG_6972.JPG
    720.2 KB · Views: 2
LOL. My niece doodles as a relaxation exercise while at university. She sent me this one last night and I loved it so much I made it into a sticker for my laptop. Makes me giggle. She has pages of ducks, lizards, frogs, spiders, birds. LOL They're so cute. Just had to share. (Ignore the pick bunny ear and the beagle ear)

Attachments

• 20211020_201830.jpg
    20211020_201830.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 2
Rhubarb: 1st year plants in a heavily mulched bed along the fence. Should I cut the leaves/stalks back or just leave them alone?
Since about half the leaves we drooping over and rotting, I cut it all back and tossed the cuttings into the compost bin. That was the first year I planted them, this year I harvested a good deal of the stalks and tossed the leaves into the compost. No clue if I'm doing things right or not.
I prefer the softneck personally & they seem to do pretty well here in CT despite everyone saying hardneck is the way to go.
I planted mostly softneck the first year and hardneck this year and and I have to say I like the hardneck more. Big bulbs with large cloves, and seem to clue pretty well. The flavor is great at least so far. Once the tomatoes are done completely and pulled, I'll plant a bed of them and one of shallots. Or probably smarter to do a couple half beds and mix in some of the greens.

Next year sweet potatoes are on my list again, starting slips in February and getting them going in the shed and greenhouse.
A little motivation...
I’ll be happy if I get even a 10th of the sweet potatoes that they did! 🤣🤣
My leaves and vines are still green so I haven’t tried to dig them up yet.
Not sure when I’m supposed to dig them up for sure. 🤷‍♀️

LOL. My niece doodles as a relaxation exercise while at university. She sent me this one last night and I loved it so much I made it into a sticker for my laptop. Makes me giggle. She has pages of ducks, lizards, frogs, spiders, birds. LOL They're so cute. Just had to share. (Ignore the pick bunny ear and the beagle ear)
How adorable she could work as cartoonist

Back
Top Bottom