What did you do in the garden today?

I froze the rest of the habaneros and jalapenos, and the garden is done producing for the year.

I went out to string trim around the garden, made it about 1/3 of the way, and ran out of string. I got to learn how to reload the head. Whee!:wee

Tomorrow is supposed to be dry too, so I hope I can get it done. I'm raking up the cut grass and tossing it into the garden. It's pretty long for giving to the chickens. They'll get some raked up leaves soon.

Mom and pups resting quietly this morning 4, 3 dogs 1 female
002.jpg
004.jpg

Puppppiesssss!!! :wee

Hey all. Been raining a lot. Supposed to get real windy now too. Hope it stays warm enough for the littles when the power goes out. They're pretty well feathered & only sleep under the brooder plate now, they never go under it during the day so I assume they'll be ok.

Sheesh, I wish we'd get a frost already so I can pull the dahlia bulbs & bring the fig tree in. & not feel guilty about pulling the last of the tomato plants that are STILL producing.

Garden cleanup is late this year. We had a light frost last night. We still have rutabaga, Brussel sprouts, carrots, mustard, turnips and beets in the garden.

Just pulled out all the bean plants yesterday. Fed some to the chickens, some went into the compost. I got 1 more meal’s worth off the plants. Beets…well, the latest ones planted might not get any bigger, and might not provide us with any roots, but I still have some I can dig up to enjoy. Mustard greens are still being enjoyed, but every day I’m picking a few bunches to feed to the chickens. Turnips, we have 2 kinds growing and will try to wait a little longer before picking them.

carrots: just picked about 75% of them, it a lot! Now I need to figure out how to deal with them (freeze, can, something else..). So, any helpful tips, please provide. Note: my family does not like just cooked carrots on their own, so I’m not likely to can a bunch of just carrots.

cornishX meat chickens- they have aged in the fridge. We removed the backbones and split the chickens to prep for freezing. Today will season and vacuum seal them. Might make chicken broth in the pressure canner with the backbones (a good place to add some carrots).

Morning all. Windy here but *knockonwood* I still have power. Nothing happening in the garden except I got notice my shallots shipped. :yesss:

So my little olive egger is getting the tuft on her head, it totally cracks me up. No obvious signs of any boys yet, but it's still early - 4 weeks & 3 days. They are so dorky at this age.
IMG_20211027_074747634.jpg

They're getting big. Hanging out on the big girl roost now.
IMG_20211027_074633398.jpg

I'm hoping my BLRW is actually blue & not black. She's very dark but I still see blue in her. Not sure if it's just her down or it's feathers now. :fl

Back
Top Bottom