What did you do in the garden today?

SEED ORDER ARRIVED!!! :wee

Sandhill preservation - it is old school ordering, so write out order, write out check, use snail mail. But got everything but one item, for which I got a credit.

They sent 6 extra packs of seeds - most look good to me. One of them is Chicory - anyone have experience with that?

I ordered garlic also, and received bulblets. These are small bulbs, cheaper to mail. They are planted in the fall or early spring (so for me, early spring). They grow as expected and when harvested this year (irregardless of fall or spring planting), they will be essentially a single clove of garlic, usually not a multi clove bulb. So, harvest those single cloves then plant in the later fall, and the next year will have the classic multi clove bulb. What is harvested this year is fine to eat, it is just not a multi clove bulb. Each packet of bulblets was $3.50. One variety has easily over 200 bulblets (the website indicates approx 200, and my packet is packed and bulging). The other two varieties have around 20-25 bulblets (per website), but one must be more than that - it is more filled than the other one. I'll have to count and see. I'll unpack and post pics of the bulblets for educational purposes. Garlic is new to me for planting, so I am on a learning curve.
CHICKORY?!?!? Ohio is infested with it. I've never had a problem growing it. Shove it in the dirt and get out of the way kind of plant. I do start it inside and try not to disturb the roots on transplanting. That's it.
It's only a weed if you don't want it. ANd it loves crap soil, which is one of the reasons it's always by the road.

Did I NEED 6 varieties of RUTABAGA??

Yes, the correct answer is yes! View attachment 2973586
You have luck with these? Tell me your secrets plz 🥺

You absolutely do!
It's bland if you are used to high end coffee from a shop. I equate it to a watery maxwell house instant. LOL
IN fact, there are a couple commercial brands out there that are all chickory - Chock full o nuts is popular down south.
Really? Never knew that. I like that brand as well as Caribou.

You have luck with these? Tell me your secrets plz 🥺

Really? Never knew that. I like that brand as well as Caribou.

Last year we planted “Joan” rutabaga. Given the long growth time, we planted in May after frost. They grew pretty well, we got a few largish ones. But, we didn’t realize they are a brassica. The cabbage loopers pretty much killed the rest. So many caterpillars bc we didn’t realize it soon enough. We liked the first few enough, we planted more late July. The cabbage loopers were still present, but in lower numbers, and we watched for them so we sprayed Bt and picked them off. We got several more to eat.

Next year I may plant them under insect netting - we did that for the Brussel sprouts and cabbage and it worked well to keep the insects off.

But, they grew well and we liked them, so figured we would try a few more varieties this year.

Last year we planted “Joan” rutabaga. Given the long growth time, we planted in May after frost. They grew pretty well, we got a few largish ones. But, we didn’t realize they are a brassica. The cabbage loopers pretty much killed the rest. So many caterpillars bc we didn’t realize it soon enough. We liked the first few enough, we planted more late July. The cabbage loopers were still present, but in lower numbers, and we watched for them so we sprayed Bt and picked them off. We got several more to eat.

Next year I may plant them under insect netting - we did that for the Brussel sprouts and cabbage and it worked well to keep the insects off.

But, they grew well and we liked them, so figured we would try a few more varieties this year.
How are you cooking them? I've only had them boiled and mashed with I butter I think. I did not like it at all. There's got to be a better way though...

SEED ORDER ARRIVED!!! :wee

Sandhill preservation - it is old school ordering, so write out order, write out check, use snail mail. But got everything but one item, for which I got a credit.

They sent 6 extra packs of seeds - most look good to me. One of them is Chicory - anyone have experience with that?

I ordered garlic also, and received bulblets. These are small bulbs, cheaper to mail. They are planted in the fall or early spring (so for me, early spring). They grow as expected and when harvested this year (irregardless of fall or spring planting), they will be essentially a single clove of garlic, usually not a multi clove bulb. So, harvest those single cloves then plant in the later fall, and the next year will have the classic multi clove bulb. What is harvested this year is fine to eat, it is just not a multi clove bulb. Each packet of bulblets was $3.50. One variety has easily over 200 bulblets (the website indicates approx 200, and my packet is packed and bulging). The other two varieties have around 20-25 bulblets (per website), but one must be more than that - it is more filled than the other one. I'll have to count and see. I'll unpack and post pics of the bulblets for educational purposes. Garlic is new to me for planting, so I am on a learning curve.

can you post a pic of chicory? there are many plants named chicory.

I love single clove garlic. easy to peel, lol.

How are you cooking them? I've only had them boiled and mashed with I butter I think. I did not like it at all. There's got to be a better way though...
Just, peeled, chopped into chunks and boiled. A little salt to eat. But, there are other recipes that I’ve come across. Hopefully these new varieties are also tasty.

Back
Top Bottom