What did you do in the garden today?

Got tomatoes and lots of peppers in this weekend!

Probably gonna head out today or tomorrow to get a few more things. I’ve been reading up on sunflowers for seeds. Anyone have experience with that? I’m thinking of a shorter version and using them in my flower beds instead of the garden. Thoughts? Here’s the ones I’m looking at royal hybrid, snack seed or super snack mix. Any pics would also be great, since I’m thinking of doing it in the flower beds I’d like them to look appealing as well.

Got tomatoes and lots of peppers in this weekend!

Probably gonna head out today or tomorrow to get a few more things. I’ve been reading up on sunflowers for seeds. Anyone have experience with that? I’m thinking of a shorter version and using them in my flower beds instead of the garden. Thoughts? Here’s the ones I’m looking at royal hybrid, snack seed or super snack mix. Any pics would also be great, since I’m thinking of doing it in the flower beds I’d like them to look appealing as well.
I'm going to grow sunflowers this year. There are so many varieties. Anywhere from mini 2 feet tall to 12 feet tall! I'm going to grow a 4 foot version

Do you know what they’re called? And are you growing for seeds or just as flowers? From what I’ve read they’re different?
I can't remember the name of the ones I have. I'm growing them from seeds. This is the first year I'm attempting them, but everything I've read said they are very easy to grow. I'm in zone 5a btw

I can't remember the name of the ones I have. I'm growing them from seeds. This is the first year I'm attempting them, but everything I've read said they are very easy to grow. I'm in zone 5a btw
I always start mine in peat pots & move them out once established. Plant them right in the peat pot so roots aren’t disturbed. Sometimes they need a little extra support so they don’t snap (until they get thicker), so I will take a bamboo pole and stake them until they get stronger (especially if strong winds are ever in the forecast). If you grow them against something like a fence you won’t need support!

Put the aluminet shade cloth on the ~30'x64' greenhouse and planted a few eggplant starts.

Also bought my neighbor's Tomato Sale signs for $75 - she has LOTS of signs (20+ A-frame wooden signs to put roadside) bright yellow that everyone recognizes - built-in customers for next year's sale!

BOSS multiheaded sunflowers...mine get about 4-5' tall
www.backyardchickens.com/posts/24632680/

I also grow Mongolian Giant and Mammoth Grey Sunflowers both from Baker Creek seeds...in the background fully seeded out, heads are bigger than a dinner plate on both of those... this is my Lazy Garden watered by Lazy River roof runoff (if it ever rains) or when I fill it with hose... sorry I can't fine pic of them in full bloom. These get 8-12' tall so had to get ladder to cover them with netting before birds get all seeds.
1652719546629.png

I always start mine in peat pots & move them out once established. Plant them right in the peat pot so roots aren’t disturbed. Sometimes they need a little extra support so they don’t snap (until they get thicker), so I will take a bamboo pole and stake them until they get stronger (especially if strong winds are ever in the forecast). If you grow them against something like a fence you won’t need support!
Yes, I start some in peat pots too if I have limited seeds in a packet. I've also grown just in the ground against a fence where I need shade if I have a lot of leftover BOSS seeds in my pocket.

Back
Top Bottom