What did you do in the garden today?

They can grow up to 200lbs

That would be hard to move! You are in the right climate and growing zone for big watermelons though!

I was looking for something garden related awhile ago, and happened upon a website for giant pumpkins - you could buy seeds from pumpkins that were over 1K pounds, and all the supplies that you would need for the endeavor. I'm not interested in growing an enormous pumpkin, and exactly how would we get it out of the garden at the end of the season? Personally, eating a giant watermelon sounds way more appealing (and kinda messy too).

Sweet Potato Q: if they wilted after planting, or the leaves dried up (I think due to the heat of the black plastic), will they rebound? Just planted 2 days ago. I recall reading one place that if the sweet potatoes arrive a bit slimy - maybe a little hot or long in the shipping - to remove the upper leaves above the root, and plant anyway as the roots are the most important part when transplanting. As careful as I was to keep them in shade and moist while planting, some were wilted (top leaves, not the roots) by the time they were planted. Most rebounded by the next day, but a few have been frizzed by the sun.

This one I accidentally broke off the top of the plant - root was looking great, and I planted it anyway hoping it would produce new leaves.
Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 9.30.27 PM.png

This one is mostly frizzed by the sun, but the stem is not wilted at all.
Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 9.30.47 PM.png

On the other hand - here is a very vigorous one. I checked the photo from 2 days ago and there is a small leaf already produced towards the top.
Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 9.29.32 PM.png

That would be hard to move! You are in the right climate and growing zone for big watermelons though!

I was looking for something garden related awhile ago, and happened upon a website for giant pumpkins - you could buy seeds from pumpkins that were over 1K pounds, and all the supplies that you would need for the endeavor. I'm not interested in growing an enormous pumpkin, and exactly how would we get it out of the garden at the end of the season? Personally, eating a giant watermelon sounds way more appealing (and kinda messy too).

I LOVE watermelon so I will sit my happy butt down right there in the garden to eat it if I can't move it. 🤣🤣🤣🍉

Side note, we tried to grow a giant pumpkin...the vine got hit by vine borers and it weighed a whopping 3lbs. Lol! :lau

I prefer to use these cheap laundry baskets lined with weed fabric for my tomatoes instead of the expensive air pot. However, the air pots are better for fruit trees.

There is a 3 inch mound of lava rock in the middle of the rectangle laundry basket to prevent root rot. The 2 inch water reservoir keeps the soil moist through out the day. The white stuff in the rectangle laundry basket is blended egg shells.

The 1 inch water reservoir in the round laundry basket has no rocks on the bottom, there is barely enough water to keep the soil moist through the day.

View attachment 3163119View attachment 3163120
What’s in the bottom of the rectangle basket to give you a two inch reservoir? What’s the process?

Bt spray. Caterpillar spray (sometimes that’s what Bt is called on the bottle). Squish them. Do not plant any brassicas there next year bc if you cover them next year, the moths will hatch inside the netting as they overwinter in the dirt. So, all brassicas go into another bed or area next year.
Thank you, @Acre4Me. I’ll have to get some next time I go shopping. :) I was rotating all my plants around every 2 years but the bugs have been so bad lately that I’ve been rotating every year, as well as removing and tilling everything before winter…This war has been going on strong for 5 out of the 10 years now that it’s been in use. :(

Sweet Potato Q: if they wilted after planting, or the leaves dried up (I think due to the heat of the black plastic), will they rebound? Just planted 2 days ago. I recall reading one place that if the sweet potatoes arrive a bit slimy - maybe a little hot or long in the shipping - to remove the upper leaves above the root, and plant anyway as the roots are the most important part when transplanting. As careful as I was to keep them in shade and moist while planting, some were wilted (top leaves, not the roots) by the time they were planted. Most rebounded by the next day, but a few have been frizzed by the sun.

This one I accidentally broke off the top of the plant - root was looking great, and I planted it anyway hoping it would produce new leaves.
View attachment 3163408

This one is mostly frizzed by the sun, but the stem is not wilted at all.
View attachment 3163409

On the other hand - here is a very vigorous one. I checked the photo from 2 days ago and there is a small leaf already produced towards the top.
View attachment 3163410
Yes, they should rebound. I have a sweet potato plant from last year that’s still in a pot and needs transplanting. It’s been in half sun/half shade, getting watered every day and needs to be in well-drained soil, which I also need to get some more of. Here’s what it looks like at the moment:
A2F0CA65-9155-4FA7-BAB1-D3E424F33E29.jpeg

Hoe’d the garden of weeds today and gave everything a good drink. I am thinking of scratching small moats around the squash. They are raised onto mounds and the water sheets off before it is all absorbed. Anyone with experience in that area?

Drip irrigation system is in the works, hand watering takes at least a good half hour or 45 minutes.

The girls are out! They were sheepish at first but after 5-7 minutes they went out into the run. We will need to overcome some challenges with the dog, but for the most part they seem very comfortable. A cover will need to go on and I’ll picket the run if the dog doesn’t settle down. He courses the run as his prey drive is high. The chickens seem relaxed but if one has a ‘zoomie’ moment, he acts a predator and it freaks the chickens out. I don’t want a worked up dog or worked up chickens, so we will see how it works out.

Have a good evening!

Attachments

• 24A1A9AA-500A-4884-B0B9-9F768780DEBC.jpeg
    24A1A9AA-500A-4884-B0B9-9F768780DEBC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 76E16A52-CB76-4F07-9475-EF132823ABED.jpeg
    76E16A52-CB76-4F07-9475-EF132823ABED.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 2E15B80A-39C4-413A-861C-C27CDD176ADC.jpeg
    2E15B80A-39C4-413A-861C-C27CDD176ADC.jpeg
    883.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DC249803-DB25-4EB5-89BC-6DC36BD3C880.jpeg