What did you do in the garden today?

Got up early & did chicken chores. Grabbed a cup of coffee & headed out to weed until about 10 when it became unbearable. Figure if it stays like this I can do a bit every morning until it’s too hot. Planted 10 zucchini/summer squash plants & 10 cucumber plants this year since I tend to lose a bunch to bugs, but all 20 look great! Rather have too many than not enough. Starting to see the first tiny buds at the base of the squash!

Tomatoes were trimmed underneath - they look a little like they just got a “high and tight” crew cut. Then watered with soaker hoses.

Shocker! The celery seed I planted weeks and weeks ago (seriously almost a month ago), has sprouted! I see 5 sprouts. They must have heard me talking that I was going to plant carrot seeds there in a couple of weeks.

DH and I have hooked up the dreaded disc mower and after hydrating and cooling off, I'm going out to mow 3/4 of the hayfield. The other 1/4 is being allowed to fully mature, rest, and reseed itself this year. Then this Spring just mow the dry flattened grass with the big mower to mulch it down. It will give the pollinators a place to play the rest of summer as well.

Alrighty, cool down time is over. Have a great afternoon all.

I just walked down to the garden. Everything is looking pretty sad. Potatoes all look dead. Most of the tomatoes are curled and wilted. Even the grapes and my yacon plants are looking wilted. I'm also losing another zucchini plant I think. It's starting to turn yellow just like the last one did that died.

Definitely going to water this evening once the sun starts to go down....

I wish my chickens would stop laying for a bit.... I probably have a dozen 18-packs to clean and put in the fridge. I don't sell nearly enough eggs so we end up giving most away or just throwing them out. I feed a lot to the dogs and chickens too
I've now frozen (batch homogenized with the stick blender and poured into silicone muffin cups) 3 dozen because I'm not selling as many as the girls are putting out. Usually I do this in the fall when I cut off the customers before the girls moult and quit laying for the fall/winter.

inbetween temps of 40° - 42°
YUCKY!!!!!!

Kills me when stuff grows better in the junk pile than the garden I break my back working in!
I got a half dozen good size butternut squash from the plants that showed up in the compost pile last year. I wasn't sure if they would be usable since they had a late start but all those that turned even a little bit tan "ripened" in the house after frost killed the plants.

My volunteer sungold tomatoes in the path:
Do you have only Sungolds? If you have other varieties as well those plants are likely a hybrid. It will be interesting to see what you get!

They do pop up when the bulbs develop, most of the bulb grows above ground but they aren't ready to harvest till the tops fall over - but of course you can harvest & eat any time before. Greens grow first, then bulbs develop. I took a pic of mine today, they still have quite a ways to go but the bulbs are developing:
View attachment 3163823

My volunteer sungold tomatoes in the path:
View attachment 3163824

A kabocha squash (pic thru the netting, don't mind the poor quality):
View attachment 3163826

A spaghetti squash, also thru netting:
View attachment 3163828

The first brandywine:
View attachment 3163829

I pulled 3 garlic, 1 big, 1 medium & 1 small - I will leave them in the ground longer:
View attachment 3163831

The butterfly weed in full bloom, I just love the color:
View attachment 3163832

& the overview of the garden coming to life, the beans are climbing well, we snacked on a big handful last night. I am not a huge fan of the 'devils lingerie' bush, but we both loved the rattlesnake poles - very meaty with no strings:
View attachment 3163833
Oh thank u for the pic! Yours look amazing! Mine aren't anywhere near showing out of the soil yet but the green stems are going everywhere...hope they ain't dead!

First time growing Nasturtium and from seed. I’ve added some of the leaves to my salads but really couldn’t tell a difference.
I really like the flowers. I think the red ones have a bit of a cinnamon taste to them.
NICE! We're they sticking up above the ground and that's how u knew they were ready?! My first time growin em and not sure when to harvest!
This year, I planted the onion sets deeper than I have before. The plants are growing very well. I harvest them when the tops are falling over, and by then, the bulbs are half or more out of the ground. I was thinking that by planting them deeper, I'd get bigger onions...?
I cut scapes on the hardnecks a couple weeks ago so it's almost that time.
I cut the scapes last week. The leaf tips are turning brown now. Looking forward to new garlic, because last year's cloves are dried out and leathery. Still ok to cook with, but they are past their prime.

Back
Top Bottom