What did you do in the garden today?

993D6F11-38EB-45C8-B979-9B5F1D9B00CA.jpeg

The 2 raised beds that I built and took out to the farm garden. There are blackberry starts inside the grow tubes.
96EE67E7-C25D-456B-A8A8-8A56345A55A5.jpeg

Speaking of Luffas, This is the only one that made it to planting outside stage. It has really taken off lately and even has a bloom!
980EA893-F97A-4E2F-8EAB-D476F7062968.jpeg

The deer stopped by my raised bed while we were out of town for my daughter’s wedding. They tried out the Jerusalem Artichoke, trimmed up the volunteer cantaloupe and trimmed up some cucumber vines that were sticking through the fence. They also tasted some carrot tops. But they left the majority of the garden for me! ❤️

Got the 2nd raised bed built out of pallet wood. Moved and assembled both raised beds to the Farm Garden Remembered to take cardboard to put in the bottom of the raised bed. Tomorrow evening my friend and her Dad will move the raised beds into position and build a cattle panel arch between them.
Then we need to fill them with dirt and get them planted.

I just saw the pics of your pallet wood raised beds. Good use out of pallets. I am thinking of building some raised beds from pallets myself. I have a different design in mind, but it will be all from free/reclaimed lumber.

I have had good luck with using the hügelkultur method of filling my raised beds. Basically, I fill the bottom 6-8 inches with wood products and the top half 6-8 inches with chicken run compost and topsoil mixed 1:1. In theory, the wood in the bottom of the raised bed should act like a giant sponge, soaking up the water when it rains, and slowly releasing it to the plants as needed. It works for me. My raised beds without wood in the bottom will dry up fast whereas my hügelkultur raised beds are still doing fine.

Morning all. Took some pics.

Not the pretty dahlias, but I grow these because the bees love them:
IMG_20220707_075706278.jpg
IMG_20220707_075642860.jpg

Tonights dinner:
IMG_20220707_080636785_HDR.jpg

The garden finally looking like a garden:
IMG_20220707_075732850.jpg

This spaghetti squash is getting so big! I have no idea how to know when it's ready, I've never grown it before:
IMG_20220707_075356649.jpg

The kabocha is getting big too:
IMG_20220707_075528583.jpg

A couple suyo long cukes growing:
IMG_20220707_075257275.jpg

Onions getting there:
IMG_20220707_075150513.jpg

EWO are actually really pretty! But the suns in the wrong spot:
IMG_20220707_075226986.jpg

Sage & thyme in the new bed, hopefully to survive the winter this year:
IMG_20220707_075631632_HDR.jpg

DH watched the baby so I got some time to water before the sun went down. Not deep watering but at least good enough to get by until the weekend... I'm SO READY to replace all these hoses though... I'm constantly dealing with water leaks which creates an enormous amount of waste but this evening I barely had a trickle out of the hose. I don't know why... I thought DH had shut off the water. Just aggravating
I just had to do the same thing - ours literally exploded from the sun hitting them!

Alright, this is quickly getting out of hand. In addition to the 1 that we already ate and the 1 that was sitting in the fridge there were 4 ripe cantaloupe already sitting on the counter from yesterday when I brought in another 6 today (along with an 8 lb butternut squash)...not counting the 5 others that were ready to be picked but will have to wait until tomorrow. And they're averaging 4.25 lbs each. Oh, and there's a boatload of large watermelon maturing close on their heels.
View attachment 3176637
Wish we were neighbors... 🤣

I just had to do the same thing - ours literally exploded from the sun hitting them!
I have 6 hoses, anywhere from 50 ft - 100 ft, connected together to reach the garden so I can water... They leak at all the connections plus 3 of the 6 have splits that are leaking from the hose breaking down.

I can't wait until I can replace them with soaker hoses. Just trying to figure out a decent layout. My garden area is rather large. There are numerous, separate raised beds (either tires or metal beds) around the perimeter on the sides. In the center is the main plot which is 20 ft x 20 ft. Probably be easier to show a drawing of the layout. Maybe you guys with hose experience can tell me your opinions on an effective layout.

View attachment 3176697
The 2 raised beds that I built and took out to the farm garden. There are blackberry starts inside the grow tubes.
View attachment 3176698
Speaking of Luffas, This is the only one that made it to planting outside stage. It has really taken off lately and even has a bloom!
View attachment 3176700

The deer stopped by my raised bed while we were out of town for my daughter’s wedding. They tried out the Jerusalem Artichoke, trimmed up the volunteer cantaloupe and trimmed up some cucumber vines that were sticking through the fence. They also tasted some carrot tops. But they left the majority of the garden for me! ❤️
I've had 3 luffas make it to the flowering stage but still no fruit set! 😔

Back
Top Bottom