What did you do in the garden today?

Why not follow the concept of a toilet paper roll pot except make it with a larger strip of cardboard instead?
Those toilet paper roles always seem to get moldy. Also, what would I use as the bottom? I don't want to tape a cardboard circle to the bottom because then I am putting tape in the garden soil. I thought of brown paper bags, but that sounds like a recipe for disaster if it rips open.

I'm wondering now if I use a mesh plastic basket and line it with paper if that would work. I would plant the whole basket and just remove it at the end of the season when clearing the vines. The roots should be able to grow right through it I think.

Well, since this is a chicken forum... I saw once that people used egg shells to plant seeds in. Then just planted them right into the ground. And it’s easy to just break off if you wanted to. But it’s free! I have not tried this yet.
That works and is great for calcium loving plants like tomatoes. Melons will outgrow an eggshell or other small start quickly and don't like their roots messed with so repotting multiple times is out of the question. I need one large starter pot that I can plant directly in the garden.

Those toilet paper roles always seem to get moldy. Also, what would I use as the bottom? I don't want to tape a cardboard circle to the bottom because then I am putting tape in the garden soil. I thought of brown paper bags, but that sounds like a recipe for disaster if it rips open.

I'm wondering now if I use a mesh plastic basket and line it with paper if that would work. I would plant the whole basket and just remove it at the end of the season when clearing the vines. The roots should be able to grow right through it I think.
I used the non bleached coffee filters in the bottom of my starter pots last year. They were bigger sized plastic pots that you get when you buy a bigger start. The filters worked great to keep the dirt in when watering but the were disintegrated by the time I up-potted So it was perfect.

I'm wondering now if I use a mesh plastic basket and line it with paper if that would work.
Yeah, my TP roll pots got moldy and some fell apart along the spiral seam.

I have used brown paper (kraft paper) to line my "upside down plastic pots." I cut a strip a little less wide than the pot is tall, and long enough to go around 3 times. Roll it up, put it in the pot, and "back spin" it to loosen it up to fit. Cut some circles about 1-2" bigger in diameter than the pot bottom, and put 2-3 layers in. Moosh it down so that the excess goes up the sides.

As it sits and gets wet, it'll sort of form itself to the pot. It'll hold together long enough to get the plant and dirt out of the plastic and into your pre-dug hole. Make the hole deep enough to cover the edge of the paper, so it all sits in the dirt and breaks down.

One caution with these is that the paper above the dirt will wick away moisture, so pay extra attention to the water needs of the plant.

I stopped doing this because the dirt/root ball stayed together well enough to transplant the seedlings when it was time. I thought the dirt ball would fall apart, and then I'd be back to disturbing melon plant roots, which I was trying to avoid.

I didn't have any problem with the paper breaking down in the soil. I couldn't find any sign of it by the end of the season.

Hey yall...quick garlic question
I planted my garlic back in November (little later than I wanted to get it in ground).
We had a blizzard at end of December but I had it mulched and covered.
I've had to relocate all of the garlic plantings due to construction.
They had really good roots on them all and about 6" of growth on most of the green stems above ground.
Do yall think they will survive the transplant?
Two years ago I grew garlic for the first time. I actually started it indoors in Feb after 30s in the garage fridge as artificial stratification because I didn't decide to grow it until we were well into winter. They transplanted fine. They weren't all the biggest heads at harvest, but I blame that on the late start and artificial stratification.
Yours might decide to Spend some energy regrowing roots, but I think they'll be fine.

You could try pet stores. They typically carry the same coir for reptile terrariums.
Thank you! I would never have looked in a pet store.

Any other locations to check for coir? And are there different kinds? I wouldn't want one that was treated/dyed, etc. as wood chip mulch is, for example.

And @WthrLady answers my question before I ask. Is this group great, or what? :thumbsup

Have you tried fabric pots? Great oxygen exchange and air pruning is great for abundant root growth.1

anybody have an idea for a larger biodegradable pot (6" pot size or so) that I could use to start melons indoors and then plant directly in the ground outside without disturbing roots?
They sell these bio degradable fabric seedling pots on Amazon...........They can be directly planted in the ground. They cost .12 cents each for a pack of 100.
512rqVH9yBL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom