What did you do in the garden today?

I was wondering if anyone tried the Eco smart fling insect spray before and ran out of spraying power?

I tried it twice and both times the spray can ran out of spraying power while the can was still full. However, the can has enough pressure to shoot out a straight trickle, so I used it to wet the walls of my garage and I found out that the mosquitoes doesn't like the smell lingering on the walls and stay away until the smell goes away. The smell lingers for a full day, so its not a total waste.

There are feathers EVERYWHERE. I don't see any carcasses but my worry is one is injured off in the field or hiding in the brambles. At least 2 of my birds were limping. I need to wait for the sun to go down so I can count chickens and check for injuries. 😕

Sorry to hear about your situation. Some poor dog is going to get a bad rap when the owners sound like they need to be penned up with him.

:old I know some people who don't have any problem letting their dogs out and run unsupervised. I wish they would just not have a dog. I grew up with dogs and we never had them out on a chain, or in a kennel, either. To me, that is totally unacceptable in this day and age. That used to be common practice when I was growing up, but I don't advocate that type of lifestyle for the family pet. It can only get your dog in trouble.

:fl Hoping you get the problem fixed to your satisfaction. Sounds like the owners don't care much about their dog. Too bad for everyone in those situations.

Well, I had garden plans for today that got set aside thanks to drama... *sigh*

There's a dog that lives about a quarter mile away as the crow flies who constantly shows up at my house. Nice dog. Beautiful, really. But he attacks my chickens and ducks if they are out free ranging in the pasture. We've caught him and taken him home before. His owners don't want to claim him. There's two different houses (they are related) who claim the other actually owns the dog. Neither can afford to feed or care for it. It used to have a collar with tags. They removed the collar completely.

Anyway, the dog showed up and attacked my chickens again. I caught it and penned it up. DH stopped by the area where it lives to talk to them. One house refused to come to the door. The guy at the 2nd house agreed to come get the dog. Showed up with no collar or leash and let the dog out of the pen. The dog proceeded to attack my animals AGAIN. I came outside right as this was happening. The guy, my DH, and DS were chasing the dog as it attacked at least 5 or 6 more chickens. I called to the dog and he came to me. I held him while DH grabbed a lead rope from the barn. They used it as a makeshift slip lead to get him loaded in dude's car.

There are feathers EVERYWHERE. I don't see any carcasses but my worry is one is injured off in the field or hiding in the brambles. At least 2 of my birds were limping. I need to wait for the sun to go down so I can count chickens and check for injuries. 😕
Keep a gun close.. too bad cannot use it on the owner the dog will have to die as it will be back.

Got out and got dirty this evening. What stayed as DD and I planted flower bulbs turned into DD, DS and I planting bulbs, and ended in DW and I planting bulbs. We planted ~130 bulbs. I need to get some mulch now. We had bark chips there and opted to remove them and use them in another bed with our fruit trees and rhubarb because some of these flowers will struggle go push through bark chips. There's still another bed to clear and plant too - that will be about 80 bulbs. In the end we will finally have flowers growing in the 2ft wide bed all along the front of our garden fence. Theres a few ornamental grass plants and bleeding hearts already in those beds too. I'm exciting for all the color!

DS and DH want to shoot it. I told them I will catch him and rehome him to a responsible pet owner. The guy who came to get him (claiming his aunt owns the dog, she said it's their dog) told us that the aunt can't afford to feed it so they basically let him roam to fend for himself. I can't put a dog to death like that... He's starving. No laws on my side to force them to surrender the dog so I'm just going to have to catch him and rehome him. DH told them as much when they came to get him.

Injuries from the dog below are the 3 worst.... I brought the 2 worst inside for treatment. Several others were missing feathers, had scratches, and were limping. But at least none were killed outright. All 62 birds accounted for.

20230327_200127.jpg
20230327_202024.jpg
20230327_202723.jpg

Speaking of animals, I have a question.

I was out today checking on the tree, checking how much sap I got. I’m noticing that feral cats are going to my garden box I just built and filled, and digging in it.

In my opinion, this is not good. I’m going to be planting peas and onions soon. I don’t want the cats to dig them up and ruin the garden.

What do I do? They can jump pretty high, so I don’t think a fence is an option.

For your information, we have several feral cats where I live.

Any ideas?

Speaking of animals, I have a question.

I was out today checking on the tree, checking how much sap I got. I’m noticing that feral cats are going to my garden box I just built and filled, and digging in it.

In my opinion, this is not good. I’m going to be planting peas and onions soon. I don’t want the cats to dig them up and ruin the garden.

What do I do? They can jump pretty high, so I don’t think a fence is an option.

For your information, we have several feral cats where I live.

Any ideas?
They are likely not just digging but using it as a litter box. Cats cover their urine and poop, hence the digging action. You could try to lay some chicken wire or hardware cloth on top of the soil. The cats will not want to scratch on that and certainly won't be able to dig through it.

Back
Top Bottom