What did you do in the garden today?

Cut the grass again todat on my new ride on. Then I turned the deck off and gave the kids a ride they seemed to be desparately waiting for. Lol. We got a little rain this morning and it was cloudy so the garden stayed wet for once.

Debating about pulling garlic. There are one or two leaves starting to brown. Last year I pulled it late, so I'm overly cautious this year. Anybody else in 5b or 6 growing garlic - when are you harvesting?

Cut the grass again todat on my new ride on. Then I turned the deck off and gave the kids a ride they seemed to be desparately waiting for. Lol. We got a little rain this morning and it was cloudy so the garden stayed wet for once.

Debating about pulling garlic. There are one or two leaves starting to brown. Last year I pulled it late, so I'm overly cautious this year. Anybody else in 5b or 6 growing garlic - when are you harvesting?

I feel like you should have a lot more time than I do for your garlic. Mine is still hanging in there in zone 8b. I got a late start planting (because I'm always late, lol) so I'm always trying to leave it in longer.

I don't grow the vine type of tomatoes. All my plants have been the bush type, and for those, I don't think you can train them to grow up a string. The wire tomato cages I bought work for the bush type tomato plants, but they are breaking at the welds.

I have lots of reclaimed lumber and pallet wood, so I am working out some ideas in my mind to cut the wood down into posts and slats to make some cages. Been watching some YouTube videos and getting more ideas. If it works... great. If it does not work... at least I did not spend any money on the project.
Why do you use cages at all for bush type tomatoes? Just let them do whatever they want and harvest at the end of the season.

irrigation system 70% done. I don't need more than that to start planting. we expect a lot of rain and storms on monday, possible hail so a few days more before I start my garden. I bought some seedlings: peppers (red, yellow, orange and hot), eggplants (white and purple), zucchini, cucumbers, strawberries, herbs and a laurel in a pot. already growing from seed tomates and peppers. they are too small to transplant.

I've been looking, but I can't spend a ton of money on it. Wood is super expensive here & it seems like a waste - my cedar beds are falling apart after a few years & my galvanized steel beds are rusting. I need something more long lasting. I was thinking maybe cinder blocks. But I don't know how much it would cost. DH refuses to work with pallets, lol. He gets so annoyed with anything I want to do with them & he'll be the one doing the work so I need him. :lau But even my pallet compost bins are falling apart already after only a couple years. Cinder blocks seem like a lot of back breaking work. See, round & round I go. :gig:gig
Cinder blocks aren’t too bad, a little more than $1 each here. Depending on how big your beds are it might not break the bank, but you’d do well to drive rebar down into the holes to pin in place and fill with cement to hold them for a wall; and they are heavy after you’ve moved a few, ask me how I know lol. They are 8” tall and wide so four high would get you to 32” or roughly hip high?

Back
Top Bottom