What did you do in the garden today?

I did the same thing as an excuse to buy a big ole thing of Cheese Balls "for my son's party".... to use the jar for storing beer tap brush plugs. Ehem, I ate most of those cheese balls, I'm certain of that. :lau

🤔 Yep, I know what you mean. The other day I walked past a big plastic jar of Cheese Balls and thought to myself that I need to find another reason to use a large plastic jar! If those Cheese Balls go on sale, I might have to buy the jar and think of what to use it for later. The zip tie storage idea has already been satisfied. It would have to be something different.

:thumbsup Oh, wait! I just thought that I should consolidate all my bungee cords into a big plastic jar! Perfect!

Yesterday, we went to TSC to get a wheel barrow. (It actually will be the best tool for what we need to do.)

Even though I now have three 4-wheeled Gorilla-type carts which I use most of the time, I did fix up the 30+ year old wheelbarrow with new parts. I had to replace the rotted wheel and all the rusted metal supports under the tray/bed. It was worth fixing up and putting back into service. Sometimes, like you said, the wheelbarrow is the best tool for a particular job. However, I use the Gorilla carts almost all the time these days.

FWIW, I bought my carts at Menards and at the time they had some kind of "house off-brand" carts on sale for $50-$75 less than the equivalent name brand Gorilla carts. My off-brand carts are just fine, but I do think the Gorilla carts are built a little better. For some reason, Menards no longer sells those other off-brand carts. They only had Gorilla carts on display last time I looked.

Ah yes, see, my stash of T25s, I got lucky! I frequently search the clearance end caps and nooks and Home Desperate and Lowes to find good prices. A few years ago I came across lots of boxes of the off color (totally baby poop yellow) deck mate screws in various lengths for a STEAL. I'm certain that they cost more to make than what I paid for them. I bought all of them, naturally. Same thing at Lowes a few times for similar fasteners.

That's a good point. If you find something in the clearance rack, you might get lucky. Good for you. I would have bought all of them too.

I did buy a number of boxes of screws at Menards when they were almost giving them aways (after rebate). But I play the rebate game and was willing to wait to get my rebate check later. Saved a lot of money.

I also bought all of their generic brand brad nail variety packs when they went on sale. Got about $5.00 per pack of brad nails for less than $1.00 per pack. They must have been clearing them out because a few weeks ago I wanted to see what the current price on them was but they no longer carry that item in the store (or online). Good thing I stocked up when the sale was on.

🤔 Yep, I know what you mean. The other day I walked past a big plastic jar of Cheese Balls and thought to myself that I need to find another reason to use a large plastic jar! If those Cheese Balls go on sale, I might have to buy the jar and think of what to use it for later. The zip tie storage idea has already been satisfied. It would have to be something different.

:thumbsup Oh, wait! I just thought that I should consolidate all my bungee cords into a big plastic jar! Perfect!

Even though I now have three 4-wheeled Gorilla-type carts which I use most of the time, I did fix up the 30+ year old wheelbarrow with new parts. I had to replace the rotted wheel and all the rusted metal supports under the tray/bed. It was worth fixing up and putting back into service. Sometimes, like you said, the wheelbarrow is the best tool for a particular job. However, I use the Gorilla carts almost all the time these days.

FWIW, I bought my carts at Menards and at the time they had some kind of "house off-brand" carts on sale for $50-$75 less than the equivalent name brand Gorilla carts. My off-brand carts are just fine, but I do think the Gorilla carts are built a little better. For some reason, Menards no longer sells those other off-brand carts. They only had Gorilla carts on display last time I looked.
Haha! I love it. Hmm, maybe I could consolidate all of my bungie cords this summer. :p

Yeah I wouldn't mix up any concrete in my 4 wheel cart; that's a metal wheelbarrow task when it's called for. My gorilla cart was a gift that I thought I'd never use; turns out it's been heavily used; especially since I got the goat heads under control.

I discovered these among the more regular yellow-skinned pumpkin yesterday. I thought it was all the one vine so I was keeping it pruned, then I found these! I threw a lot of different seeds in this bed, mostly old stuff that I figued wouldn't sprout.
View attachment 3771473
I'm not familiar with this colour pumpkin / squash. Anyone know ?
View attachment 3771474
I also picked a few handfuls of cherry tomatoes that the eagle-eyed Araucana couldn't reach (my bantams would never pick from the vine!), pruned the pineapple guava and treated some powdery mildew with cream and water. Yesterday I had a big burn-off in the fire pit, hoping to do another burn today but the wind has really picked up.
maybe its a gourd :)

Mice are one thing...rats are another. This is 1st year I've ever had rats & a neighbor has them bad. Chicken feed on the ground is a major no no. She stopped doing that but says she still sees rats. So now what...any advice for rats? They're running around between our yards & 4 chicken coops now. What do ya do when rats have decided to hang around? My level of stress & anger over these nasty critters is at an all time high right now. 😡
It's an easy fix, I used to have rats, but I got rid of them after watching this video.

Well, we had monsoon type rain & wind all last week, so it is taking time to get re-absorbed back into the ground. Around the big barn & garage was literally a moat. It was deep enough for some wild ducks & a pair of Canadian geese to swim...deep enough for their little feet to paddle!

One night it's cold enough for frost, then we get a ton of rain, with one of those nights having thunder & lightening, then a few days of 50s & 60s temperatures, then back to frosty mornings...very weird indeed!

My daffodils are blooming now. Trees are budding & pollen fills the air. The soil is still a sopping mess so DH & I took advantage of the dry spell to haul old carpet & padding from a job we are doing, to the dump. So let me ask ya...have you ever have a bad spell, where things just don't go right? Like suddenly your usual agility & balance just decide to take a vacation?

Last week my right knee, and especially above the knee itself, decided to swell up, huge. I've been rubbing Traumeel cream, arnica gel, castor oil & using ice packs every morning before work & every night before bed.

Then the left elbow swelled up. Why? Who knows! So now rubbing & icing that, too, along with the knee.

So, the 1st day we finally see sunshine, I decided to shake out & then clean some area rugs. As I'm shaking a big rug, I get a shooting pain in my hand, I guess it's the palm but between the ring & pinky finger. I look at it, and I'm amazed to see it swell up & a purple bruise-like spot appear...like what the heck, did I hurt a vein? I hurt that spot before moving cinderblocks, a few years ago, soon after a carpal surgery. The surgeon said it was probably dupuytren's contracture & it was like a big thick cord was sticking up, inside my palm. Personally, I think the surgeon accidentally nicked something during the carpal surgery. Whatever. Anyway, now that darn thing is killing me, so I got ice on that & wearing a carpal brace just to keep me from accidentally moving it & getting more sharp pains in the hand & wrist.

So then yesterday, we take a load from the jobsite to the dump. I always need to do something, usually I'm handling this stuff alone, but DH is unloading it. So I have to help, right? I have basically 1 good arm. I use that 1 good arm & hand to hold up the heavy folded tonneau cover, as he is yanking on the rolled carpet. Yeah, bright idea. When he yanked the carpet roll out, the tonneau sort of bounced upward, then came down hard...right on my hand, and part of the apparatus put a puncture wound into my palm. It hurt bad! He drove me home. I cleaned off the blood & washed both of my sore hands & grabbed the ice packs. So now, both hands are messed up! Knee & elbow are still swollen, too!

Anyway...I hope that's the end of this stupid injury streak, bad luck week. I'm running out of places on my body that don't hurt! Lol

Last night before dusk, after flock was all tended to & nestled down, I was able to tend to my little mealworm farm, so fresh potatoes slices & chicken feed along with warmer temperatures make the mealworms active. Live mealworms are great treats for the flock & also I add some to the compost area & they break it down faster.

Some pics of the moat...which is shrinking daily. Maybe once it is gone I will be ok & functional enough by then, to get something accomplished. Pigeon loft needs spring cleaning & I need to build a new stall trap & landing board & the chicken coops need some attention.View attachment 3771668View attachment 3771669View attachment 3771670View attachment 3771671View attachment 3771672View attachment 3771673
Sorry to read about your physical issues.

In my garden today I cut a wad of these, to enjoy in case the expected storm flattens them:

1000006979.jpg

Back
Top Bottom