What did you do in the garden today?

I planted a few chard in the garlic bed, in the spaces that ended up bigger-ish. I don't lay out my rows with string, I eyeball it with my 62 year old eyes. :)
You should see my garlic this year! It doesn't look like I even tried to get a straight line.

DH & I took out 2 rotted cedar beds & moved the soil to the old strawberry Hugelkultur beds where the level had dropped. Dug down a bit to put stone there as a base for most of the GreenStalks. Can't wait to get them off my deck. Had to take down the fence to use the tractor, neither of us are healthy enough to use a shovel these days. :lau
IMG_20240409_162010397_HDR.jpg

Speaking of taking down the fence, the new fence won't be going up this year. Everything is coming up & I don't want DH to kill it all. & I can't help. Disappointed, but I'll live.

I cleaned up 2 more beds & DH cleaned up all the leaves so it's looking better in there. Thinking of spreading straw on all the cleaned beds today.

Moving old stall hay this morning while we have no wind.
I moved mass planted tomatoes to individual yogurt cups yesterday, and put them back in the seed shed on heat and light. Only 80 plants this year, down from 600 last year, and 1000 years before that. I took pre-orders this year. I only need 25 this year. The rest will be for open sale, or neighbors that forgot to opt in.
The flower seed trays have been moved to the greenhouse. If we go to below freezing, I'll just move them to the shop or barn for the night.
Picked up all my plant food yesterday while no one else is thinking of buying it.
I put gypsum, alpaca poo, and fresh compost in the tomato beds.
Maybe I'll put the garden bird fountain out and fill the bath today.
And the hummingbird feeders need a spring cleaning.

I took a walk through the garden this morning and saw that a few of the peas I planted are coming up. I plucked out a few self seeded flat leaf parsley plants that were too close to the chives.

The tarragon plants died off above ground over the winter, but there are several tarragon plants coming up from the root systems. Oregano and thyme are so healthy I'm thinking they might end up needing to be moved.

I'm pretty sure that both of the rosemary plants I started from seed last spring died off completely over the winter. Dang!

Red kale, red leaf lettuce and bok choi plants are looking great, but the cabbage, broccoli and Brussels sprouts aren't looking too good so I'll probably pull them out.

The garlic and onion patches are looking great. I'm curious as to whether the artichoke plants survived the winter. If not, no biggie, because artichokes are my least favorite of all "vegetables". In other words, I think artichokes suck.

Wild Asters in there also. They grow everywhere. Not sure which native species. Some are light blue and some are white.
We get native blue ones here.

The automatic watering barrel thingy we have for the chickens is kinda falling apart, it wasn't really made right and so is hard to service when needed. I'm trying to decide if I want to get it rebuilt or just use the simple 3 gallon basic waterer I use as emergency water. It has to have a level base and that's hard to manage with the girls out there digging to China.

Back
Top Bottom