What did you do in the garden today?

Forrest fire threat level raised to max (5) there have already been a few, thank God most could be put out quickly , yesterday, coming back from my 2. root canal treatment, I saw another fire, police and firefighters were there ( lots of them) the guy beside me in the took a video 😬 guess what I am doing in the garden?! Yes, thats right, watering, watering, watering 🙄 got special rose fertilizer today, so I’m going to do that too before watering, friends are coming today to visit me, I hope I can get them excited about watering plants 🤪 they don’t have a garden, but used to have one, I am offering them my red currant’s, they love them ( me, not a fan)

So what does everyone use as mulch on the garden paths?
I use small crushed rock. We got it for laying pavers but never used it .... The bags started breaking down in the sun so I decided to use them between my beds. I have weeds these days but I could easily fix that, just haven't because some of it is chamomile, dill, and cilantro.
I found a little volunteer tomato in the garden yesterday and decided to leave it and see if it catches up with the foot-tall tomato plants I put in the ground a few days ago.

If it performs as well as the plants I spent time, money and effort starting indoors, I will try planting some of my store-bought tomato seeds in the ground this fall and see how they do next year when direct seeded.
I have a bunch of volunteer tomatoes, I've pulled a few, but I've let a bunch keep growing. I'm sure I'll regret it later but for now it's adding to my tomato diversity.

I did a 50% water change to my 75 gallon fish tank. The total dissolved solids were over 800ppm so I figured it was time. I used my python and put the water into 5 gallon buckets out in the yard. Mixed in some fertilizer and my nematode drench concentrate with each bucket full. Got everything fed and watered! And a good drench of the nematode control solution. Three birds with one stone!

I direct sowed some of my DS' pumpkin seeds, another two watermelon seeds where one start just isn't performing well and sprayed some weeds with vinegar to see how well it'll work on certain weeds. Also chasing a mole that is making a huge mess around (literally around) my raised beds. Hopefully I catch it soon.

Photo of the drastic difference in watermelon plants. 🤣
20240514_112602.jpg

Planted at the same time, same medium, same fertilizing and watering schedule. 🤷‍♀️ You can see the other two in the background by the corn as well.

My batting average is taking a hit with seed germination this season. Some of it is expected considering I'm trying to salvage my mom's 8 yr old seeds that were kept in her shed. Not surprisingly... the onions, basil, lettuce, beans, and most of the flower seeds did not germinate at all. I've had pitifully low germination from the carrots and cilantro.

But even MY seeds that are about 2 yrs old and were kept properly are not doing great. The basil, butterfly pea, and borage have all been bust. Not a single seed germinated. And I've had low germination from the marigolds and Zinnias. Brand new seeds from Bakers didn't germinate either - Mullein, marshmallow, agastache, bee balm, violas, and catmint.

I’ve had very good luck with direct seeding okra @Smokerbill.
I've decided to do both direct seeding and starting seeds indoors in solo cups.

My okra row is ~24 feet long. Going by the recommended 18 inch spacing, the row will need 16 plants. I'll start 18 in solo cups indoors so I have a couple extra.

I know the air and soil temperatures outside are lower than ideal for okra seeds and seedlings, but I'll go ahead and plant the remaining seeds out there and see how it goes.

If the direct seeded okra doesn't do well I'll have backup with the plants I'm starting indoors.

I THINK I saw a hummingbird last night.
I refilled the feeders, so we'll see.

The yogurt container starts that I up-potted the other day are over their transplant shock and are shooting up. This time next week, I'll up pot them again to their solo cups.

A gallon of strawberries have been sliced and have filled the freeze dryer.
DH LOVES them.

The overwintered in the ground onions are nicer and larger than any onions I've EVER planted in the spring. Hmmmm. I might have to repeat this 'accident'.

The overwintered in the ground onions are nicer and larger than any onions I've EVER planted in the spring. Hmmmm. I might have to repeat this 'accident'.
Interesting. Were those onions planted as seeds, sets or plants? Did they bolt last year?

One of the black currant cuttings I planted last week is looking pretty bad so I'm going to yank it out today and put in one of the replacements I have. All the others are looking great! I just really, really hope that the deer don't develop a taste for them. Maybe I should somehow protect them just in case.

Back
Top Bottom