What did you do in the garden today?

Interestingly enough, I have bunching green onions in a different bed that were also ones I bought from the store. They were starting to go bad in the fridge so I planted them. They are going on 3 years old now and have flowered every single year.
I have 7 year old bunching onions that I started from seed. They seed every year and keep on growing.

Fire and ice hydrangeas loving chicken poo!
4x size even w cutting back last year
Chicken doodoo ftw!
I played w them as a kid too! Didn’t realize they are a pest in garden!
So long as they have lots of damp mulmy leaf litter or wood they leave plant tissue alone.

I'm an adult and I still play with them. 😁
I have some mole activity in one of my raised beds. I take a more "live and let live" attitude with the little diggers. They've never really done much damage, other than occasionally tunneling under rows of newly planted seeds, and the seeds usually still come up where they were disturbed.

My take is that the moles' tunneling aerates the soil, plus they excrete fertilizer deep under the garden. They eat grubs that may eventually do damage to plants. To me, that's worth having a few things in the garden being disturbed.

https://plantura.garden/uk/garden-wildlife/moles-in-the-garden

Or a cutworm.
I would leave the moles alone if they didn't attract my dachshunds... They absolutely destroy everything to get to the moles and gophers. I mean, everything... Except maybe the sidewalk/patio. It's terrible. It also gets so dry here that if a mole goes under my lawn it dries out in those spots and dies. We play on the lawn daily. I fertilize it, mow it, dethatch, etc. it's my baby even with the small areas that I'm not watering by hand enough in the heat. (We don't get any rain here from April to November usually.) I even mowed and edged it two days before I went into labor because I knew I wasn't going to get to mow after I was out of the hospital. 😂 I pulled weeds after my water partially broke and we were supposed to be going to the hospital. 😅

Anyway, there was a gopher in my tomatillo bed this evening. Quickly caught it with a gopher hawk trap. Within 20 minutes, I set the trap in the same hole just in case. She was right under one of my bell peppers. 😞 Hopefully it survives.

Caught another gopher in the orchard. Still after the mole.
20240522_160153.jpg

I enjoyed my garden after my morning workout with my coffee. I love it in the morning light.
20240522_074409.jpg 20240522_074508.jpg 20240522_074434.jpg 20240522_074354.jpg 20240522_074306.jpg
My volunteer tomatillos are loving the chicken doodoo compost.
20240522_074447.jpg

Harvested my icicle radishes. They are delicious although spicier than my large daikon radishes I grew last year.
20240522_074629.jpg

After I got home from work and took care of the flock's needs I walked around the gardens and the yard in general. I noticed that I still had several 4 packs of annual bedding plants, unplanted. Knowing that they would die soon if I didn't transplant them, I picked up a garden knife and started finding spots for them.

The five Petite marigolds were added to the perimeter of the squash bed.

I removed the pansies from a planter and added portulaca. That's a lantana on the top.
IMG_20240522_175745321~2.jpg

Then I put four more in my wheelbarrow garden
IMG_20240522_175635791~2.jpg

I tucked another four portulaca in this garden's bare spots
IMG_20240522_175649103~2.jpg

Three more...aha!
IMG_20240522_175729834~2.jpg

They were tucked in amongst the irises and monardas in another new garden. You can just see the weeds invading on the right. I'll address them by this weekend.

I haven't tried the smaller ones. Didn't even know about them...

It's just disappointing to spend so much money on bulbs, invest in good soil, raised beds for good drainage, and STILL have them rot in the ground just 2 months later. 🤬
Look online or locally for a pack of seeds. They come up and bloom quickly. They will make small tubors which you can dig and save if you grow one you really like. I really like the collarette type. Most of these show 2 colors on each bloom. The solid colors are beautiful too.

Sorry yours rotted. That is so disappointing when we try so hard to do our best and still have problems. I think we've all been there. I know I have.

We had a strong storm move in last night and some plants got knocked over. I’m sure they will right themselves?
I could eat all the baby cucumbers bc they are so sweet and good !😊
When the eggplant is ready, will the stem die, easy to pick? These are supposed to be the Japenese string variety.
Chickens spent their last night in the brooding box! We will use later for baby chicks, hopefully, from these chickens!

Attachments

• IMG_7709.jpeg
    IMG_7709.jpeg
    727.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7706.jpeg
    IMG_7706.jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7711.jpeg
    IMG_7711.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7708.jpeg
    IMG_7708.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Yesterday it got rather hot and humid. I watered the garden and all the recently planted flowers. I also picked more blueberries. I've picked a couple quarts so far and lots more green berries yet to ripen. Looks like we will have a good blueberry year. :fl

Came in to cool off and found a tick crawling on me! Yikes! Nasty little blood sucker met his death by fire!
I had Rocky Mt Spotted Fever several years ago. I was so sick. Do not want a repeat of that or any of the other stuff ticks can carry.

Today will be in the 90s. Not much gardening today. Will pay some bills and catch up laundry. Boring stuff!

When the eggplant is ready, will the stem die, easy to pick?

Pick them at a size you like to eat and the plant will make more. If they get overly ripe they are not as tasty and the seeds will be larger.

If the plants start making lots of seed they generally stop flowering as much and sometimes die. If you keep picking they keep flowering to make fruit. Then you have lots of eggplant.

Pick them at a size you like to eat and the plant will make more. If they get overly ripe they are not as tasty and the seeds will be larger.

If the plants start making lots of seed they generally stop flowering as much and sometimes die. If you keep picking they keep flowering to make fruit. Then you have lots of eggplant.
Ty

Back
Top Bottom