What did you do in the garden today?

I have the daikon bucket thinned down to 5 plants now. I just used the weed-tea fertilizer I made for the first time, watering the daikon with a 20 to 1 dilution of the fermented liquid.

IMG_4183.JPG IMG_4185.JPG IMG_4158.JPG

House plants...I have too many, always plants producing more plants, always something sprouting, always something needing to be transplanted, always something that I come across in my travels that was nearly dead & now rescued/recovering, too. There's a slider in the kitchen with the most sunlight, so I know I need to move this stuff at some point, but "for now" it's in my messed up kitchen lol.

My mom's African Violet, from the 1970s & still blooming
View attachment 3840028
3 types of cactus, Christmas & Thanksgiving, but they bloom year round pretty much
View attachment 3840029
More Spider Plant "babies" growing roots in a pan of water, I give them away, good fresh air plants
View attachment 3840030
Another plant from the 1970s
View attachment 3840031

Others
View attachment 3840032View attachment 3840036View attachment 3840033
View attachment 3840036
View attachment 3840039View attachment 3840040

Aloe I've had since 1985
View attachment 3840038
I'm trying to recall if I posted a photo of my house plants here. They're on the porch right now, and I haven't put them up on stands yet.
IMG_20240518_150255603~2.jpg

Christmas cacti (2), Angel-wing begonias, spider plants, Mother-in-law tongue, aloe, and an "I can't recall the name" succulent.

When I did my walk around the gardens this morning I noticed that the green beans I planted last week are starting to germinate. I saw the little green arch in the dirt. Finally. The only garden work I did was put straw around the potato plants. It’s too hot for anything else and there’s a bad air advisory. I installed the AC unit in the sunroom and it’s cranking out some cooler air now. The warm temps today are unusual for May. We’re so not ready to be dancing in the 90’s yet.

When I did my walk around the gardens this morning I noticed that the green beans I planted last week are starting to germinate. I saw the little green arch in the dirt. Finally. The only garden work I did was put straw around the potato plants. It’s too hot for anything else and there’s a bad air advisory. I installed the AC unit in the sunroom and it’s cranking out some cooler air now. The warm temps today are unusual for May. We’re so not ready to be dancing in the 90’s yet.
I am (and my garden is) ready for some warmer weather. These are good temperatures for lettuce and brassicas, but my tomatoes and peppers would appreciate some heat!

Screen Shot 2024-05-22 at 10.32.25 AM.png

I've had problems growing the big dahlias here too. I can leave them in the ground as long as it's in an area that does not get to wet in winter.

My problems with them are haven't mites. Once they start to show flower buds spider mites attack.

Have you tried the smaller types from seed? They usually do much better for me.
Wish I could have the big dinner plates size but they are a constant battle for me.
I haven't tried the smaller ones. Didn't even know about them...

It's just disappointing to spend so much money on bulbs, invest in good soil, raised beds for good drainage, and STILL have them rot in the ground just 2 months later. 🤬

Between the bugs, rolls pollies and cut worms; animals - voles moles mice rats and squirrels; and general health issues (mold, poor soil etc) it really is God’s grace when veggies from garden make it to our mouths!!
I agree!

I also feel so blessed when I get a "gift" that I did not plant, cultivate & work hard nurturing...the many wild berries, etc. What nature gives back to me makes up for the ones that I tried to grow, but did not flourish. Foraging is fun!

Between the bugs, rolls pollies and cut worms; animals - voles moles mice rats and squirrels; and general health issues (mold, poor soil etc) it really is God’s grace when veggies from garden make it to our mouths!!
Speak about voles, I have a problem with the vole/mouse poison that attract raccoons! At least I think it's raccoons, because they opened the mouse poison stations that require a key to open, ate bait, and tossed the stations up to 20ft away everyday! Anybody else has the same problem? How to stop them? I have a LOT of voles running around my raised beds everyday! :he And hundreds of vole tunnels in my yard. I tried mouse trap, no vole would go in it for peanut butter.

Back
Top Bottom