What did your chickens do today?

Yesterday, one of our hens laid the biggest egg I've ever seen! It measured 4 1/4 inches from the very top to the bottom and the circumference is 6 7/8 inches! I wonder if she is bragging about it out there?! lol The middle one would be called an extra large or jumbo in the store, I think. Here it is:

Forgot to say that it did have a double yoke. First one we got w/ that!

Last edited:
Mine love watching the dogs or the pigs (I give the dogs **** for looking at them tho lol). My one Ameraucana mixed rooster crows LOTS and I'm so glad their coop is so far from the house and behind the horse barn :) He hangs out with my Ameraucana girl, like they know they are of the same blood or something, but inside the coop he chases her and everyone else around until one of the other roos puts him in his place. I have two too many roosters and they are going to a womans farm to reside in her freezer (poor boys). My Wyandottes are such calm beautiful birds, I sit out back and watch them lay in the sunshine of their coop run, I sit there so often I want to buy a bench for there. The sunsets out there are gorgeous too. They all now come when they are called (I say CHEEEEECKENS many times in a row in a super sonic high pitched tone lol), It only took a few times with kitchen veggie scraps and now they think I always have food :-D

I love my birds!

Whoa! Is your hen bragging, or resting and thinking she never wants to lay another egg again!
woot.gif

Fairly frequently our ladies give us a double yolk. They are huge. I have wondered if it would hatch twins, if one chick would absorb both yolks (Chickzilla), if one yolk just wouldn't do anything, or if it would hatch at all. Maybe one day I will try one and see.

Last night, my grandson was chasing the birds in the yard (he likes to watch them fly) and Debbie, my Red Star, crouched. We've known she was close to laying her first egg because she was so red and her legs so yellow. Well, today she did it! DH called me at work to announce the news, like a proud papa. She's the biggest of our 3. Now, we're just waiting for Jewel. She'll be awhile, gray legs (black sex link) and only a tinge of color to her comb. She's bouncy!

Last night, my grandson was chasing the birds in the yard (he likes to watch them fly) and Debbie, my Red Star, crouched. We've known she was close to laying her first egg because she was so red and her legs so yellow. Well, today she did it! DH called me at work to announce the news, like a proud papa. She's the biggest of our 3. Now, we're just waiting for Jewel. She'll be awhile, gray legs (black sex link) and only a tinge of color to her comb. She's bouncy!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

My leghorn laid her first egg 9/11. She laid it in the dust bath that is filled with peat moss. It was a peewee size with a perfect shell and a huge orange yellow yolk. No egg today. It's exciting to finally get a present from the bird other than the usual ones she drops all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom