What did your chickens do today?

Quote:
Not sure if you were talking to me or LaLa Chickie - I used coloured zip ties, I don't do them super tight so that as they grow I can snip them off and replace with a bigger tie of the same colour - cheaper way of getting the bands for them - I have pink, blue, orange, green and white - I was hoping hubby had a a black one but he didn't so one goes without a band.

1. Lucy has started laying her eggs on the couch in the garage :/
2. Pig's a big boy! Lucy's laying fertilized eggs :)

Last edited:
Today I had about 40 chicks out taking dust baths at the same time. They were purring and chatting with each other and there was no chaos. The other day I had to isolate the roo that attacked my hen and since then the rest of the flock has pretty much relaxed and there has been little fighting except for normal "I'm the boss" stuff that hasn't been vicious or caused injury. My hen is healing up very nicely and today when I looked at her the feathers were laying over much of what had been her wound and she was looking pretty normal. Her and her sister have been keeping good care of each other, are nice to each other and keeping company and I think that has helped my little girl make it through this better than she would have. Tomorrow I am going to start training the roo with the others and see how he responds and if it doesn't go well I will be making fajitas...

My husband spent hours doing yard work. Weed eating, sweeping etc... It took Pig n Lucy a whole 15 minutes to completely cover the sidewalk in dirt.
Pig was being a jerk today. Really cranky and irritable. He hadn't pecked in weeks, but he got me about 6 times. :( oh well he's Ok now thank goodness. I'd hate to have to put the "smack down" on him!

Tonight I went out to spend some sit down time with the chickens. It was the first time I was able to do it in about a week and you could tell they missed it. Even my roos were lining up for me to pet them and talk to them. One roo would walk up, get his pets, walk away and then come right back. Even my biggest alpha roos were looking longing but knew they couldn't take the attention and maybe lose their place in the pack. One of my sweetest hens jumped onto my lap and sat there with me and that made me the target of a couple roos that think she is theirs. I had a few stare downs but none of them dared to peck at me. They are unique little chickens.

This is my hurt little girl that I took this morning. She still has a bald patch and some scabs but her other feathers are starting to cover it up nicely. But she is growing, healthy and very content.

Last edited:
I notice every night when my girls go into the house to roost they all face the wall.......it is bizzare looking. So, why dont they face out into the house????

I notice every night when my girls go into the house to roost they all face the wall.......it is bizzare looking. So, why dont they face out into the house????
Most of mine do the same thing. I wondered this, too! A couple roost on the edge of the poo-board and I lift them up to the regular roost branch 'cause otherwise they'll get pooped on! But they, too, face the wall. Weird phenomenon or is there a reason...anyone??!!!

I watched for awhile one time when several were faced outward, toward the coop, and when they get ready to hunch down and sleep, they turned around to face the wall!

Last edited:
I was headed to leave earlier and saw Stevie sun bathing. I don't see him do this often. He doesn't let his guard down often. But after almost a week of rain. He's making the most of it.

Back
Top Bottom