what do all you cold climate chicken owners do to the coop for winter

Just checked on the girls this morning before I left for work. Temp in the coop is 10 degree and the outside temp is 0. I have a weather station that allows me to have a thermometer in the coop and outside so I can decide if I need to turn heat on in the coop. I plan on trying to keep the temp around 10 degrees. Last night I did turn on the 150 watt infrared light and also closed up some of the vents. But I still made sure I had good air flow. Also the coop is insulated. I have windows on all four walls and have thought about putting up curtains to insulate the windows at night. During the day I have a 4x4 window that faces south that let in a lot of sunlight. The girls were very happy this morning and I left them cracked corn to feed on and sprinkle some meal worms on the floor to give them something to do. Don’t want them to get bored in the coop today.

I have not had the time to insulate and mine are in a shed. I put two 250 red heat lamps, one above each roost. So far, even at -20, they seem to be fine. I am forunate to live in a very dry climate, as I do not have very good ventalation, yet. But I add more dry shavings regularly to soak any mosture produced but the birds.

Last edited:
Insulated coop, extra bedding on the floor, and 2 (75W) red heat bulbs (one/both depends on how cold...primarily at night, but did leave one on today w/the pop door open). My goal is to try to keep it above freezing in there (I sit out there a lot, so this is for me too). So far this hasn't been a problem. My birds are young, and hang out inside the coop a LOT during the day since it's dropped down into the 30s, although they will go outside for short periods, especially if my DH or I are out there. They handle the 40s pretty well, tolerate the 30s a bit, but barely venture out in the 20s (has only been lower than that at night so far). I've also been making sure they have an evening "snack" to fill up on for energy...

Scooter147 just said it -

-28 here this morning - During cold nights like that I do close the pop door - there is a fan from a heated room behind my (unheated) henhouse that I didn't turn on last night as the heat seeps in there fairly well. I used to do the heat lamp thing, but have found that even lightless, they're fine.

I think the most important thing is that they have enough food with proteins and fats, and plenty of unfrozen water along with dry, wind free, protection from the elements, and they should be just fine.

If it makes you feel better (like it does me) make a big bowl of warm oatmeal for them on cold mornings as a treat.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

There are a LOT of threads started on cold weather help for the birds.
smile.png
But that pretty much sums it up. There are so many variables that play a part in how happy your birds are... age, number, housing, location, etc... You will know when it's too cold for the birds. I have a lot of birds in an 8x8' coop, shavings on the floor, but 2 pop doors and a window that are rarely shut tight. I only worry about them when I know it's going to be close to 0°F or below. They put off a lot of heat, and with a well insulated and vented coop, they will be quite happy.

I can not put in anything that MAY catch fire, so I have a energy efficient bulb (one), a radio and a Little Giant water heater base that i have been using for some years without any problems at all.

Other than that the girls and the roos are on their own. I try very hard to keep the drafts down and LOTS of poultry grain going "free feed" so they can stay warm.

I feel sorry for the Guinea during the winter, it is hard on them.

Last night it was -2* and all the chickens slept in their uninsulated draft free coops. Tonight its only suppose to get to 8* and some are sleeping outside on their roost. I guess they know when their cold and when their not. They do just fine and in the morning they'll be ready for a handful of scratch.

We've been down near -20F already (one week straight in November that was a surprise to us!) and our turkeys, pheasants, guineas, chukars and bobwhites are outside with huddle boxes. We do not add any extra heat for the gamebirds, and the galvanized waterer is sitting on a heated base for the gamebird run. They're all fine. Of course, there are a LOT of them to huddle for warmth.
smile.png
We only have the heated water base for the chickens in the layer coop, too. For the breeder coop, we have a small kerosene cabin heater for the REALLY cold weather, to keep them from getting frostbite and keep the eggs from freezing. These are the birds we show from time to time. But we only keep it at 35°F in there. Any more than that and it just gets too damp in there too quick.

Last edited:
I, just today, added some red bulbs in the coops since they decided they were not gonna come outside, I added the lights to try and avoid heated water and all around cold for the birds. I hope it keeps the water from freezin, otherwise I will just buy water heaters. I have a heated dog bowl, but I didn't want to put it in the coop and cause excess moisture (and shavings in the h20) so I am hoping the heat from the chooks and the light will keep it abover freezin. wish me luck as this is my 1st winter with chooks. We will, I am sure, learn the hard way how to keep things good for the babies.

Back
Top Bottom