What do clear, watery, saliva looking droppings mean? šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

KauaiChickenMama

Songster
Jul 11, 2021
Kauai, Hawaii
Iā€™ve seen these clear, almost saliva looking droppings come from my 4 week old chick and my 8 week old chick. Does this have something to do with coccidiosis? I just started my second round of a 5-day Corid treatment today. I took them off for a week in between.

I think Iā€™ve seen similar droppings in my big girl pen that contains 5 big girls that are about 9 months old. Itā€™s harder to identify the clear poops though, because their run has a forest-like floor. Their droppings are definitely more runny lately though. I switched the big girlā€™s feed recently so I assumed this could be the cause of their runny droppings because they are behaving and eating normally.

Outside of the clear, saliva looking droppings, the chicks are behaving and eating normally. They are in a nursery pen adjacent to the big girl pen. Their run area consists of a grass floor with some dirt patches. There is a small access hole so the 2 chicks can go in and out of the big girl pen as they choose. The 8 week old chickā€™s mama is now in the big girl pen, so that chick likes to go back and forth between the two. She is quickly able to escape her aunties when they chase her. Itā€™s possible that the clear, watery droppings in the big girl pen are from the 8 week old chick. When I did see bloody droppings from the chicks initially, I never actually saw them puff up. Perhaps I caught it before they got to that puffy stage.

I donā€™t have any pictures of the clear looking droppings that Iā€™ve seen, but Iā€™ll try to take some.

What do clear, watery, saliva looking droppings mean anyway??

All of the birdies are eating their crumbles well. Behavior is normal among all of them. Fresh water given daily with probiotics/vitamins/electrolytes added. I just started Day 1 of my second round of a 5-day Corid treatment today for the littles in the nursery pen so they do not have the probiotic blend added to their waterer during the treatment period.

Watery poop generally means consuming high water content foods or drinking excessive amounts of water. it usually occurs when it's hot.

Putting lots of additives in the drinking water may not be such a terrific idea. Electrolytes can cause salts to build up in tissues and it's hard on the kidneys. They should be used only when you suspect heat sickness or shock from an injury or predator attack.

Giving vitamins during Corid treatment is self defeating if they include thiamine. That's what coccidia feed on. Vitamins are not necessary when a balanced commercial feed is fed.

Treats high in water content such as greens and squash are fine, but offer sparingly. Expect water poop when you feed them.

Any change in poop should not cause immediate alarm unless it's accompanied by lethargic behavior.

Thank you, @azygous ! Yes, Iā€™ve learned from you folks here on BYC not to offer any vitamin supplements during the Corid treatment due to the thiamine issue. I was giving the supplements in the water to the chicks during the break between the two Corid treatments as you recommended.šŸ˜Š I felt like offering the big girls supplements as well in the big girl pen was a good idea since they had runny droppings (possibly due to adjusting to their new layer feed). I will include some pics of the supplement Iā€™ve been using for the last week. Iā€™m curious to hear what you and others think of it. :)

The weather here is usually very comfortable in Hawaii. Mid to high 70ā€™s on average. Our chickens are quite spoiled here with our weather, as we are. šŸŒ“ā˜€ļø They drink water freely and I give them fresh water regularly.

Mostly I was just wondering what was up with the clear, watery, saliva looking droppings and if they were somehow related to coccidiosis. Or if there was a reason to be otherwise concerned as it doesnā€™t seem normal.

I appreciate any inputs that anyone might have, especially if they have seen this clear, saliva looking droppings with their birdies as well. What seems abnormal to me may not be abnormal at all.

Attachments

• 67B54557-2814-4A4C-B39D-79C7D233E517.jpeg
    67B54557-2814-4A4C-B39D-79C7D233E517.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 5AF148CE-BE8E-4317-B7A6-42D3B1CF20B1.jpeg
    5AF148CE-BE8E-4317-B7A6-42D3B1CF20B1.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom