What do clipped wings do?

Sep 16, 2021
San Ramon, CA
In what ways do clipped wings affect chickens? Can they still get onto perches/roosts? Do roosters still fight? I was thinking of clipping my chickens' wings because we just put up their new free range fence today (it's 4ft high) and 2 of them already flew over the fence. (My hen that's super attached to me was trying to get into our house by smashing our window open, but she wasn't able to fly high enough. :lau)

Clipped wings prevent chickens from flying high. Your roost perches should not be sooooo high that require flight. Chickens should be able to jump up with just some help from the wings.. Clipped wings should be sufficient to reach roosts.
Often times,,,,,, peeps just clip one wing to prevent chickens from flying over fences. The one clipped wing sets chicken flight to be off balance, so they stop flying.
I would often clip my new chickens' wings so they do not escape from my run. Once they are home-settled,, they no longer try to escape, Therefore usually just the one time clipping would do the trick.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

clipping tip-

While you may begin trimming chicken wings anytime you want, it is generally preferable to do so before the flying skill grows to an issue. It implies that it is preferable to clip a non-flying chicken under six months old before it attempts to fly over the fence. They will adjust more quickly as they get older.

Back
Top Bottom