1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do geese really need?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickenweirdo1, May 23, 2016.

1. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    I want to get a goose as a watchdog for my chickens. I'm just wondering do they really need a pond or can they just have a open water-er? What conditions they can live? It in gets below 0 degrees in the winter they wouldn't be outside they would be in a insulated coop with a heat lamp. And over 100 in the summer. Is there any certain breed that would be okay in those conditions? Also i want a good layer. What kind of food they eat? They would be free range on lots of land. Coop size is not a problem.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    We had them in MN while I was growing up. They didn't get a pond but had a large enough kiddie type pool they could climb in and out of. I don't remember the breed

3. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    My Super African goose and my American Buff pair share a large kiddie pool, and they're quite content. Geese are generally really hardy. Mine have access to a coop 24/7 and they usually opt to sleep out in their enclosed yard even in winter. (It gets into the teens regularly here in winter, sometimes colder and 90-100 in the summer.) In fact, my neighbors have a pond with about 8 geese and they don't even provide a coop for them. Not the way I would go, but theirs seem to do quite well. As for a breed, I'll say I love my two Buffs. They're easy going and are really pretty friendly. They're not bad at laying either.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  4. Toshtego

Toshtego New Egg

May 24, 2016
    As you can imagine, geese love a pond. My small pond only flows from May to October. During the winter months they have access to two 50 gallon sheep tanks which they enjoy regularly. I have to chop the ice out of it and refill daily.

They need a shelter, of course. Mine stay in a covered enclosed porch with straw covered floor. It is next to my bedroom, so they tap on the window when they need something. We have predator issues here so I want them where I can keep an eye on them at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by