what do I do chickens bad leg still not healing

mama dixie

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
my silkies leg is still not healing. it has been like two weeks it has one leg that is fine and one that it does not move much. the joint on that foot has heat in it again so I am starting it back on antibiotics. My husbend wats to do away with it. I want to keep trying. I let it out once a dat to try to get exersize and eat grass while I watter and feed the others. it is very aware of its suroundings and eats well now but the leg is not healing. I think it is a rooster but I am still not sure. Oh can anyone help here. I so do not want to let my hubie do it in but he and my neighbor keep telling me it is not having any quality of life. what does that bumble stuff look like?

Look at the bottom of the foot, is there a black spot/lump [sort of like a scab]. That is bumblefoot and on BYC there is tons of info on how to take care of it. It basically has to be cut out........

Let us know what you find......

I searched Bumblefoot in chickens on the internet, there are pictures, videos and instructions on how to treat it. There are two different opinions as to how to deal with it, it appears.
It is not something I have had to deal with yet, but it appears to be quite common and treatable.

Here's one site with a video... I do not know if your silkie has Bumblefoot or not, you should be able to tell from the descriptions given. Is there a scab, swelling is it on or from the bottom of the foot?

http://razzberrycorner.blogspot.com/2010/07/bumblefoot-in-chickens.html

I wanted to find a picture of it, there is a picture of Bumblefoot in a guinea pig on Wikipedia (who knew).

Good luck.

ok so please forgive my amuture discription here, the bad foot has a swelling at the joint and it seems like it is calused from the bird walking on it, or maby just thick skin there describes it better. when it trys to stand it falls forward and struggles to get balanced. it uses it wings to stabalize itself. I will look up bumble foot and see if that is it. I just dont know what to do. I am such a softie not a good person for contry life I just hate to kill it, it is trying so hard to live.

it is the joint that bends just past the what would be a shin bone on a person, sorry still lerning tech terms. it is really swallon or large but I dont see any scabs or bumps. do you think I should soak it and bandage it with some antibiotic ointment and can I just use triple antibiotic that we use or do I need a special livestock one? I will get a picture and try to post it in the am. how do I post a picture to this site? I know it sounds strage but I think I am tech challanged shall we say. one time when it got out of its isolation pen somehow this one rooster was on it trying to mate with it or kill it I am unsure as it was on its side and the rooster was on top of its side. sience then it has been worse.

OK, to quote you: "the joint that bends just past the shin bone on a human" are you talking about the ankle or the knee joint then? AND yes a picture would be worth a thousand words.....LOL

it is the knee joint sorry to be such a dork. I would be laughing also if I could think straight. seems I only get time to do this at the end of the day and I am tired and goofy or goofer than usual. how do I post a picture, just so I can do it fast in the am and not have to search for an hour to do it..

alas I think I better go to bed and try this again in the am, becuse I just banged my wrist and now it is really sore and hurts to type. gee I think I should of stood in bed today :O

I will get the picture asap and get it posted please look for it and who knows by then maybe I will be making scence.

Back
Top Bottom