What do I do with my chicken having a broken foot/toe?

ImAChick

Songster
Mar 5, 2021
Michigan
I'm not sure what to do but my 6/7 month old pullet or hen has a broken foot/toe by one of the roosters trying to get on her (because of mating..) and I need some help. I have no idea what do and she is being picked on.
20210307_175333 (1).jpg
Her name is Snow and she is a Buff
Orpington.
20210307_175220.jpg
20210307_175248.jpg
20210307_175314.jpg

How's her walking? I wouldn't do anything to treat it as long as she can hobble around ok.
She limps around a lot but she can get on a perch which is about 1 1/2 ft tall and she also manages to get up into a nesting box. She always sits in the corner of the run away from everyone else because they apparently "pick" on her. When she walks she barely puts any pressure on that foot.

When we had a younger pullet we took half a ping pong ball spread her foot out on it and carefully attached it with stretchy wrap bandages. It gave her some more mobility while it healed. For bigger chickens I’ve seen people use half a tennis ball. You do have to be careful not to wrap it too tight though. It will probably never be straight but it won’t probably won’t cause pain either. Our hen is now 11 months lays 6 eggs a week and seems perfectly happy. Here’s a photo of Marion in her boot.
1615209834513.jpeg

When we had a younger pullet we took half a ping pong ball spread her foot out on it and carefully attached it with stretchy wrap bandages. It gave her some more mobility while it healed. For bigger chickens I’ve seen people use half a tennis ball. You do have to be careful not to wrap it too tight though. It will probably never be straight but it won’t probably won’t cause pain either. Our hen is now 11 months lays 6 eggs a week and seems perfectly happy.
Alright thanks! And I am glad your hen is happy!

When we had a younger pullet we took half a ping pong ball spread her foot out on it and carefully attached it with stretchy wrap bandages. It gave her some more mobility while it healed. For bigger chickens I’ve seen people use half a tennis ball. You do have to be careful not to wrap it too tight though. It will probably never be straight but it won’t probably won’t cause pain either. Our hen is now 11 months lays 6 eggs a week and seems perfectly happy. Here’s a photo of Marion in her boot.
View attachment 2560577
BRILLIANT, I love it! Will have to remember this, thanks for sharing. ❤

I'm sorry I can't offer much in the order of suggestions. Have you tried moving the foot? How long has it been like that? If it is broken, more than a couple days and it will start to heal that way. They heal pretty quickly. An x-ray may be in order.
The problem as I see it is that she's being picked on. Perhaps you have too many roosters.
(like me) I've been butchering two or three every few days.

Back
Top Bottom