Yes, but not developed yet
Okay I guess I am just stupid and not following. Are we talking as in they are sitting on the eggs in the present time or do the eggs rot or what? I’m sorry. I’m just new to all this and don’t get why they would just sit on the eggs..? I a have been around chickens and farms all my life but the birds were never allowed to sit on eggs unless they were meant for them to hatch out.

Okay I guess I am just stupid and not following. Are we talking as in they are sitting on the eggs in the present time or do the eggs rot or what? I’m sorry. I’m just new to all this and don’t get why they would just sit on the eggs..? I a have been around chickens and farms all my life but the birds were never allowed to sit on eggs unless they were meant for them to hatch out.
They always hatch their eggs out. We had at first not wanted chicks so we took eggs away when they were trying to sit. Now we don't

Well, I for one would never feed my chickens, 'Chicken'!!! And I don't feed them eggshells. Yeah that's just what they need, a reminder to eat they own eggs. I've had to cull 4 of my hens for doing that and they were some of my best layers! From the time I receive my chicks in the mail, they go to above ground pen, outside and are started on 20% Chick Starter. They stay on that until theyre about ready to start laying and then I switch over to 16% Layer Pellets and Crumbles. I mix them both together. I'll also add about 2 cups crushed Corn to the mix. (I mix up about 3 gallons of feed that I put into a plastic container with holes in it. It'll last about 4-5 days.) Oh, and I never use Scratch! That's a waste of moneyI They never eat the little maze seeds. However, from time to time I'll add some 20% Chick starter to the mix for a little extra Protein. I use the Dumor brand feed from Tractor Supply. Every now and again I'll get a Purina or some other brand that has extra ingredients to harden the shells, even though theyre hard enough, already. We do eat a lot of fruit and veggies, so I do give them the scraps from from the left overs but I don't go out of my way to buy it for them. Oh and they do love left over pizza, too. They always look forward to me walking over to theyre run with a plate or bowl in my hand. I do have happy chickens! :)

Mine are free range and they eat grass seeds insects, greens, scratch in cow or horse poo for undigested seeds, yummy.

If they can eat maggots out of a dead carcass they can get botulism and die. You will know when that has happened because they have a limber neck after death. It is rare. In 50 years I've had only 2 animals die that way.

I give them whole or cracked corn for moral support to keep them close in summer and for heat in winter.

I also give them Purina Layer Pellets mixed with cracked corn in winter when there is less for them to forage. With layer mix you get more eggs than without it. In summer I go for fewer eggs that are rich from green grass etc.

They need to be fed oyster shell or crushed egg shells to help them keep making good shells for the eggs. I used to bake the shells but I'm too lazy now so I crush them to make them not so obviously egg shells.

This batch of hens I'm keeping confined in a 25' X 25' yard and a 4'X8' wooden coop at night. I only let them out a few hours each day before bed time so they get back into their house at night. I'm tired of chickens that don't go home to roost and lay their eggs all over. I'll slowly get rid of those wayward older hens leaving me with ones that actually give me eggs that are semi confined.

It’s like being a vegetarian, you just can’t eat vegetables and be healthy. It is time consuming making sure you are getting everything in your diet to keep you healthy. I listen to The Chicken Chick and feed a scientifically made food to my chickens that has everything they need in it. I feed Purina Layena pellets and they love it and are thriving! I stopped the snacks.

My chickens get all the leftovers in the house, including my cat’s left over food (chicken pate!) and sometimes a half-eaten rodent he decided to grace me with. I also compost in their run, so they get whatever is in the compost too.

I ferment 20% starter crumbles for my birds and I’ll never go back. Right now I have two 6wo birds in the living room brooder, and there’s no smell, it’s amazing.

Someone earlier said to not feed egg shells... My grandpa (90yo!) always fed our chickens crushed egg shells, they don’t eat their own eggs, if chickens are eating eggs there’s probably a nutritional deficiency somewhere.

Well, I for one would never feed my chickens, 'Chicken'!!! And I don't feed them eggshells. Yeah that's just what they need, a reminder to eat they own eggs. I've had to cull 4 of my hens for doing that and they were some of my best layers! From the time I receive my chicks in the mail, they go to above ground pen, outside and are started on 20% Chick Starter. They stay on that until theyre about ready to start laying and then I switch over to 16% Layer Pellets and Crumbles. I mix them both together. I'll also add about 2 cups crushed Corn to the mix. (I mix up about 3 gallons of feed that I put into a plastic container with holes in it. It'll last about 4-5 days.) Oh, and I never use Scratch! That's a waste of moneyI They never eat the little maze seeds. However, from time to time I'll add some 20% Chick starter to the mix for a little extra Protein. I use the Dumor brand feed from Tractor Supply. Every now and again I'll get a Purina or some other brand that has extra ingredients to harden the shells, even though theyre hard enough, already. We do eat a lot of fruit and veggies, so I do give them the scraps from from the left overs but I don't go out of my way to buy it for them. Oh and they do love left over pizza, too. They always look forward to me walking over to theyre run with a plate or bowl in my hand. I do have happy chickens! :)
You culled 4 of your best egg layers because they are their own eggs??? Chickens do that when they are lacking in nutrients. In my opinion, you should have switched up their diet and seen if that made a difference. ALSO, crushed egg shells are AMAZING for chickens. No, it’s not a reminder to eat their eggs, it’s actually a great source of calcium. And COOKED chicken is perfectly fine to feed your flock OCCASIONALLY. Not as a staple, just as a treat here and there. If you do some research you’ll see what I mean.

My chickens get all the leftovers in the house, including my cat’s left over food (chicken pate!) and sometimes a half-eaten rodent he decided to grace me with. I also compost in their run, so they get whatever is in the compost too.

I ferment 20% starter crumbles for my birds and I’ll never go back. Right now I have two 6wo birds in the living room brooder, and there’s no smell, it’s amazing.

Someone earlier said to not feed egg shells... My grandpa (90yo!) always fed our chickens crushed egg shells, they don’t eat their own eggs, if chickens are eating eggs there’s probably a nutritional deficiency somewhere.
Fermenting chicken feed is something I’m currently looking into. I’d like to give it a try. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom