What Do I Have, Are They Hens

Well those two crowed this morning, and well all day, they are roosters. I took those back and got two more, but was only able to get a picture of one, the other one, the RIR got in the coop to roost. I am not 100% sure, but I think this is a hen.

68589_img_0768.jpg

and another shot
68589_img_0771.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Still looks like a roo to me. Im pretty sure I see saddle feathers. If u could geta better pic of his feathers towards his tail Id b able to tell. But the saddle feathers look like my Ameracauna cockerals feathers did starting out. Im very curios to see if he starts crowing for u!!
wink.png

At 5+ months wouldn't you expect more obvious development to show that it's definitively a cockeral? The two you took back were more clearly boys, but this one is kinda iffy to my, albeit non-expert, eye.

The new one you have got looks like a red sex-link roo
hmm.png
I think the people you are getting your birds from are just desperately trying to get rid of their roos I'd take him back and get a hen else where.

Well, another boy.
sad.png
I thought sure as anything that was a hen. I have four RIR pullets, and another laying RIR hen, so I really don't need him, ( I can't have him). The seller had two other roos, one being the roo I had and another that is without a doubt rooster. He told me "I'm a 100% this is a hen, all three are the same age, she is small, don't have the large tail feathers, small light colored comb, that there is an hen". From what I can tell, this chicken can not kackle, it make a soft churping sound, and is pushed around by the RIR pullets and hen. I guess I post free Roster, if he is going in the pot, do it away from me.
sad.png

Thanks, Keith

Back
Top Bottom