What do I have here?? Part 2

14 chickens & counting

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Buena Vista, GA
I know these are "bantams" because they are MUCH smaller than my other hens, but just wondering if anyone could give me some more specifics. I think one may be a "Barred rock? or Plymouth rock?"
75636_img_0157.jpg

75636_img_0159.jpg

The first looks to be a D'Uccle roo. A "Barred Rock" is a Barred Plymouth Rock. "Barred" is a color not a breed. Now, as to the breed of your little barred girl... What kind of comb does the barred have?

There are different kinds of combs... Single combs are those like the one on the chicken in the first picture. Pea comb are rather close to the head and have 3 fairly distinct rows of bumps. A rose comb is fairly close to the head with some bumps on it and a small spike off the back. Walnut combs are rather small and roundish and wrinkly similar in appearance to a walnut shell. V combs are just that - V shaped (look like horns, hehehe). There are other kinds of combs too but those are the most common types of combs seen. Knowing what kind of comb a chicken has can point you toward determining its breed.

14 chickens & counting :

Quote:
Still learning this chicken stuff.........As to the comb(I do know what that is)...but what are you asking exactly when you asked about "What kind of comb..."?

The red thing on top of it's head.
roll.png

Quote:
Thanks for the info...I think it's more like a Pea comb. This is JUST the kind of info. I am looking for. I had no idea that the comb could help determine the breed. She also has a fan tail.

Last edited:
Quote:
Still learning this chicken stuff.........As to the comb(I do know what that is)...but what are you asking exactly when you asked about "What kind of comb..."?

The red thing on top of it's head.
roll.png

Be nice. This is a newbie looking for information. I think she knows WHAT a comb is, but not everyone in the world knows there are different kinds. So play nice.

Hmmm, if I remember right, Dominiques have pea combs... And are barred with clean legs (which means the legs aren't feathered). But I don't recall what color of leg they are supposed to have.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom