What do I need to get started??

Oh, and another thought: If you haven't heard of Chicken Math, you soon will. It's a thing. Before you know it, your five chickens will turn into ten - from wandering the farm store and seeing those oh-so-adorable chicks you just HAVE to have, or learning about a new breed you really want to add to the flock. Plan your coop and run for twice as many chickens as you think you'll have, and you'll prevent headaches later.

I think I can free range and just get a coop for sleeping. I'm attaching pics of the space I have for them it's already enclosed the side of the house and a 7 ft fence. Thoughts?
If you don't mind ceding that space to the flock that should be fine for 5 birds. The coop as BarnyardChaos mentioned doesn't need to be an actual enclosed box, but they do need somewhere they can be locked up for safety if needed, that provides shelter from rain or winds as needed.

How wide is that space? I assume you need to preserve a way to walk through it so any coop can't span the width of it. Maybe something like a trash can shed or small garden tool shed, with added ventilation? That'd keep it narrow in depth to fit the space.

I know HI has a much different ecosystem than mainland so are there any aerial predators to worry about?

Both the coop and run are too small. Do not ever assume manufacturer claims are realistic, always look at the actual measurements to confirm.

The coop is 22" x 25.2" - that's under 4 sq ft. That's enough room for 1 single standard size bird.

The run is 22" x 121.58" which is smaller than previously mentioned. It's 18.57 sq ft total which isn't enough for 2 standard birds. The width being under 2' is hugely problematic.

What you want for 5 birds is a minimum of: 20 sq ft of floor space in coop NOT INCLUDING nest boxes. 50 sq ft of run space at least 5-6 ft wide. In addition, 5 linear ft of roost as well as at least 5 sq ft of ventilation open 24/7 (and up to 2-3x more depending on how hot and humid summer temps are).

It happens a lot on here. I would definitely return it. Best to post links to any other coops you may be considering, or to any coop plans you may consider, so we can help nitpick any issues.

If you are capable of doing any building at all (or have a handyman that can do some work) a hoop coop is a popular and economical choice: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/economical-easy-run-build.1477838/#post-24624553 . In Hawaii from what I understand an actual enclosed coop is unnecessary and there's members here who go completely open air due to the tropical climate. I see a Hawaiian state thread here, might want to get feedback from others in your state: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/any-other-hawaiians-out-there.117644/
Thank you!

If you do put a coop in there, make sure the birds can't hop on top of it and then go over the fence from there. (Voice of experience here!) We have a smallish coop inside a fenced area, but the coop is - now! - in the middle of the fenced area, not right next to the fence!

Congratulations and welcome to BYC! These are great questions. Well, first you need a safe place to house your chickens, a coop. Plan to provide about 4 sq ft per chicken for them to be comfortable. Crowding causes behavior problems like bullying, pecking, feather picking. This is where they will sleep and lay their eggs, so it should have nests and roosts. The roosts should be higher than the nests, so the hens won't sleep in the nests and soil them. You'll need some kind of litter for the floor of the coop and some nesting material for the nests. You should also probably have a run, a fenced area for them to spend the majority of their days. They should have about 10 sq ft of space in the run. The run can have some kind of litter as well, like shredded bark for example. You may not need it unless the ground is bare. Fencing around the run should be sturdy enough to deter predators, so not chicken wire. Hardware cloth is advised. Do not allow gaps that snakes can get in. Cover the ground around the run as well in an "apron" of hardware cloth and cover it with rocks to deter digging. You may need to cover the run if predatory birds are a problem.

You will need feeders and commercial food such as pellets or crumbles, waterers and separate containers for oyster shell and crushed granite grit. The grit is for digestion. The oyster shell aids in making good sturdy egg shells.

Perhaps other residents of Hawaii may wish to modify this list. Mahalo!
We use4" pvc for our feed and we have a continuous running water system with spickets. It is very nice. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom