What do I need?!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TracyLK, Apr 24, 2011.

1. TracyLK

TracyLK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    I am getting 6 chicks, hopefully this week. We are using an old pack n play as the brooder. What are the necessities/ helpful things to have/buy when having chicks. ( feeders, treats, special bulbs, medicine/things for emergency). I saw this grew medicated food/vitamin thing tha grows, do I need that? This forum has been very helpful, but I am trying to get a consesus. Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Chickeninthemeadow

Chickeninthemeadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    1) Shower Curtains
    2) Brooding Light (bulbs, hood, thermometer)
    3) 1 Gallon Waterer and Feeder trough
    4) Medicated Chick Starter Feed
    5) Sugar or Sav-A-Chick packs for their first few days.
    6) Flake PINE shavings

1) I'd line the pack and play in something that can be cleaned easily. Perhaps a shower curtain. Get 2 so that you can hose and dry one after doing complete litter changes but still be ready to get the babies back in their playpen as soon as possible.
    2) The chicks have to be kept at certain temperatures so brooding light bulbs at different wattages, the hood to direct the heat, and a thermometer to dry run it to make sure the temps are OK.
    3) Self Explanatory, won't need a full gallon, but I find they are least likely to tip over
    4) I prefer medicated to prevent the onset of coccidia which is common in chicks, however that is your call. You do want Chick Starter feed, it is usually pretty clearly labled on the bag, however be aware that you do not get the stuff for broiler chickens (cornish rock/meat chickens) if you are getting layers.
    5) Many people recommend sugar water or save a chick water (we call it Chicken Kool-Aid at my house) as it helps the chicks get over the stress from the trip to your home.
    6) The larger cut the shaving, the better as chicks may ingest the really fine stuff. Also, DO NOT USE CEDAR! as it is poisonous to them.

Anyway, that's what I'd start with. I'd also recommend to start thinking about some kind of something to put on top of the Pack N Play to keep them from flying out.

Grats on your babies!

3. TracyLK

TracyLK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Thank you for all your advice! We are so excited and want to be extra prepared [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    On #5, I wouldn't do this for more than a day or two. They need .5 sq ft of space for a week or two, then twice that. I feel that what gets most people in trouble is too little space and too much heat -- or nowhere for them to get away from the heat if they want to. They are active little buggers and grow FAST.

Enjoy!

5. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Tracy,

You are in for SUCH a treat!

We got our first 3 yesterday ... and had so much fun we went back for another one today. [​IMG]
    These babies are addictive, so be prepared. Oh... and everyone around here is an enabler, so don't expect an intervention to stop you from getting 2 dozen more. [​IMG]

DH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by